superchips cortex 1950 programer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this unit in tow mode? I have a ~4,000# camper that I tow, and aside from econ mode, I'm wondering how helpful it is with towing?

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this unit in tow mode? I have a ~4,000# camper that I tow, and aside from econ mode, I'm wondering how helpful it is with towing?

Accoring to Superchips you don't need the heavy tow mode if you are under 6000 lbs. I use it with my 7000 lb TT. I fill up with a tank of premium and it tows great. I pulled the Boy Scout troop trailer (about 2500 lbs) to Boston and back earlier this year. That was about 1000 miles. I used the 87 octane program and had no problems. If you go to the Superchips site they have their dyno results for the different tunes.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
question for other superchips owners. Does yours tell you you need 91octane to run the tow feature? mine said that, so i used the 87 octane tune.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine doesnt...91 performance is only used if using 91 octane...thats their warninng

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i will check mine in the am because i want to change the tune, but I will see if the tow tune says 91 required. the performance did obviously, but I will see what tow says.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you mtondreo. mine said it after i picked the tow program but before it would install. said 91 octane required for tow. i'll try and take a pic of the screen in the morning.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tallsville - got tied up with stuff today, but will check tomorrow when I change the tune

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Code:
Tow tune definitely recommended that I use 91 octane. I just changed from the mileage xs tune (saw no benefits) back to the 87 octane tune.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go to the Superchips site it show more HP and TQ with the 87 octane tune than the tow tune. https://www.superchips.com/Store/ta...ProductId/91/product/Ford_Cortex/Default.aspx

I asked about that on their forum and the Superchips rep that is on it said that is the way the tunes turned out. If I'm not towing use 87 octane and save the money.

Just for kicks I ran some 1/4 mile runs with the datalogger and my truck was a little quicker with the 87 octane tune than the performance tune. I did that with 93 octane in the tank.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code:
Tow tune definitely recommended that I use 91 octane. I just changed from the mileage xs tune (saw no benefits) back to the 87 octane tune.

dont know why you didnt...i did...city and hwy...ESPECIALLY HWY...and this is in comparison of using stocks/24 inch rims/26 inch rims...