Superchips Flashpaq 1845

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, don't want to hijack this thread but 5 Star called me back and explained their system, costs, etc and where really helpful. Think I might go for a unit, my expedition has 150K miles so a bit old to start tuning it, but a bit of extra get-up-and-go never hurt anyone!! :)

Gary

OP
OP
C

Chris C

Reaction score
I ditched the Superchips and have a 5 Star tune on the way.

The Superchips tune was okay, my rig didn't like one of the tunes that it came with and would misfire. The 87 economy tune seemed to perform the best but never saw any mileage gains. My biggest issue was when i returned it to stock, my truck didn't seem to run real well anymore. It's almost as if the restore messed up some mapping in my stock tune. The Superchips customer service seemed uninterested in offering any help. I wouldn't recommend them on that alone.

I already have my SCT x4 and have installed their pre-loaded tune and am already impressed. Eager to see what the 5 Star Tunes will do for me. I'm getting an 87 Economy, 87 Perf/Tow, 87 Perf Only, and a 91 Perf/tow.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ditched the Superchips and have a 5 Star tune on the way.

The Superchips tune was okay, my rig didn't like one of the tunes that it came with and would misfire. The 87 economy tune seemed to perform the best but never saw any mileage gains. My biggest issue was when i returned it to stock, my truck didn't seem to run real well anymore. It's almost as if the restore messed up some mapping in my stock tune. The Superchips customer service seemed uninterested in offering any help. I wouldn't recommend them on that alone.

I already have my SCT x4 and have installed their pre-loaded tune and am already impressed. Eager to see what the 5 Star Tunes will do for me. I'm getting an 87 Economy, 87 Perf/Tow, 87 Perf Only, and a 91 Perf/tow.
I’d change your plugs to a tighter gap

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How tight a gap?
Seeing as how you don’t have an ecoboost, I would contact 5 star. They may even tell you just to run with what u have. But my ecoboost plugs are a step colder sp542s and are gapped at 0.028”

OP
OP
C

Chris C

Reaction score
I've got my 5 star tunes, loaded the 87 perf for now. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions of anything else to do with these SCT tuner? I see that there are even more additional options when I'm installing the tunes but I've left them alone. Also, does the SCT have any features that make it worth mounting? It has gauges but are any of them worth using?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got my 5 star tunes, loaded the 87 perf for now. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions of anything else to do with these SCT tuner? I see that there are even more additional options when I'm installing the tunes but I've left them alone. Also, does the SCT have any features that make it worth mounting? It has gauges but are any of them worth using?
I can't speak to the options but I find additional gauges to be very useful.

I've got a Scangauge II mounted to keep an eye on trans and coolant temps, among other things. Lately I see my coolant temps fluctuate 30-40 degrees while my factory dash gauge stays perfectly still. If I didn't have the actual value readout I wouldn't know my thermostat's been sticking.

Speaking of, I'll be replacing that thermostat this weekend.

So yeah, you've already spent the money and have the tool. It doesn't hurt to use it to keep an eye on things.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple things, do not mess with the extra user options. 5 star has everything set who they need it. Changing those will alter ur tunes and throw error codes.
Load tunes and put the tuner away. It’s too ugly unfortunately to keep out and mounted. I only plug mine in when I’m dagalogging