Suspension Help needed on 01 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
I have a 01 Expy Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 167k on it. I bought it with the incorrect tires on it which caused probs with the air ride suspension. I put the correct size tires on it, Cooper Discoverer HTPs, really big diff.

My wife came home from shopping on Sat and the rear was all jacked up on the drivers side and not nearly as high on the passenger side. The susp light is now on. Is there anything to check before I start throwing parts at it, and where are they located. Since the Expy is new to me I have no clue. May chg suspension in the spring if I cant get a handle on th is situation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Snapshot

Reaction score
I've had suspension issues myself, so I know how frustrating this can be. Since you have a light, I would get it checked if it's possible to drive and you can go somewhere close. Other than that, If you hear your air compressor working when you start the vehicle, then do this: turn off the relay for the air suspension; it's located on the passenger side vehicle underneath the glovebox and it has a yellow sticker, so it's hard to miss. Let the vehicle's airbags deflate fully. You can help this go faster by standing on the rear bumper, maybe even getting on and off a few times. The next step would be to open your hood and find your air compressor. It will be in the bottom left corner, below and in-front of the windshield washer tank. Have your wife (if possible) turn the relay back on and put the keys in and turn it to where all your electrical components are on and have all the doors closed. Stick your hand near your air compressor's dryer (it's wear the hoses are) and see if you feel any air coming out due to a lose hose. A lose house could possibly cause one side not to inflate depending on how the hoses run.

If you don't feel any air coming out of the dryer b/c of a lose hose, then it's time to crawl underneath the vehicle. Get a spray bottle and fill it with soapy water. It's going to be a tight squeeze (or it was for me anyways), but you need to go underneath your vehicle and spray the air spring to check for leaks visually (or you can use your hand, I find stuff like this easier by sight). A hole in the bag would cause for one side not to be able to inflate as high as the other.

I hope you can figure this out. I would say what to do to test your air compressor itself, but it looks like it's working since only one side isn't as high.