Suspension issues and the one who helped me out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeMauro

Reaction score
"I found Eddie Spinks (American Air Suspension) on the web under Ford Suspensions. I was experiencing a real mixed bag of problems with my local dealer giving me all kinds of stories on my 1999 Expo. Since I have in the past some experience with heavy truck I knew that the issues at hand puzzled the dealers techs. I contacted Eddie and found a knowledgeable and courteous gentleman who was willing to help me out regardless of the fact that I may or may not even purchase parts from him. After I talked to Eddie I directed the Techs to replace the compressor, two sensors and the 4 wheel drive motor module (which by the way tells the SCU to raise the truck to an additional height). When all was said and done one issue was left to complete, and that was the front air shocks needed replacement. The dealer quoted me a price of over $650.00 and I laughed. I explained to the dealer the shocks were available to me for about $250.00 for the PAIR! and I was not willing to pay the dealer $400.00 for a hour worth of work. So at that point I ordered the shocks from American Air Suspension at about half the price around town and Eddie shipped them to me ASAP. I needed the shocks badly since I was headed out of town with the Expo. on a long trip. As luck would have it a major storm hit the UPS hub and, guess what ! my shocks were lost! I called Eddie and he traced the problem, but in the interim he personally went out, picked up another pair of shocks, ran them down to the good old United States Post office, and with his own funds shipped them over night. The next day, there they were and an hour later they were on. I saved $400.00 bucks easy, got a free education on air suspensions, and made a good friend on the way. I would rate Eddie and his business - Triple AAA.

Thanks
Joe

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you found a good mechanic. Not many would do what you described. Also, good job on boycotting the stealer ship, you would think that they'd give you half decent service prices since you advertise for their company by driving their car.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that's a great testimony!

If I ever have problem or hear of someone who has, I'll definantly recommend American Air Suspension! :D

magic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am a newbie and just about to buy an used Expedition on Monday. The sales guy mentioned about the air suspension and the compressor and something about kicking in and some mount and something loose. I dont know anything about this and could use some help with the knowledge of what kind of problems that I may face with the suspesnsion and the compressor.

Thank you

bluebird1

Reaction score
I am also a great fan of Edde Spinks and American Air Suspension. He sure helped me out! You cannot go wrong with them.

As for the mounting bracket, Ford has redesigned it and it is much quieter now. The bushings wear out quickly in the old mount. I am installing the new one in the spring.Other air suspension problems include bad (corrosion) relays, leaks, etc. They are easy to fix, but somewhat annoying. By the way, the compressor is under the windshield washer and the relay is underneath on the passenger side. The only problem I have ever had is a blown compressor and Eddie's rebuilt one for $150 or so fixed that.