swap conversation mirror for another sunglass holder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Island_Boy

Reaction score
Wife wants to ditch the conversation mirror and try to add another sunglass holder. Looking at the diagrams it looks like it will fit.

Has anyone done this? 2012 limited. Anybody have a place I can just buy the sunglass holder part? Will call some local pull a parts tomorrow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cheapjeep

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it does. I had this in there for a while.

CAM00049Small_zps67ae80b1.jpg

CAM00046Small_zps42b57605.jpg

You may have to change the whole door for another sunglass holder though. Never had the sunglass thing apart but I'd bet the mounting tabs are different.

OP
OP
Island_Boy

Island_Boy

Reaction score
I knew it would. But I've been trying to just find another sunglass holder, and from Ford I can only buy the whole assembly for like $350 or so. I am going to call some Junkyards and see if I can just get the glasses holder.

Ebay has yielded nothing so far, unless I'm searching on the wrong thing.

That's pretty cool what you put up there - where'd you get it? Is it a gps or android tablet?

Thanks!

TNScrambler

Reaction score
Wife wants to ditch the conversation mirror and try to add another sunglass holder. Looking at the diagrams it looks like it will fit.

Has anyone done this? 2012 limited. Anybody have a place I can just buy the sunglass holder part? Will call some local pull a parts tomorrow.

Thanks!

You can swap them out.... I did the opposite... ours has the Sunroof, so it only has one spot which had the sun-glass holder... we just converted over to the Ex from a minivan that had a conversation mirror, so the wife was used to having one. I happened to find a non-sunroof model that had the correct dark interior as ours, so I was able to swap them.... you have to pull the assembly out of the headliner (it has clips that snap into the roof), then 2 wiring plugs. Once you have it out there is a white gear you need to pry out on one side. The black gear that engages with the white can fall out, so I used a piece of tape to hold it in, also take note of the position of the white gear so you can make sure its "timed" properly for re-installation... note, you do not have to remove the white gear, just slide it out to release the door from that side. Then you just gently pull the door down and out. Once you get it out, you'll notice that the opposite side has 4 "Slots" that have to be lined up with the hinge on the other side. It will only go in one way. When you put the new door into place you have to "Pre-load" the spring side hinge in order to line it up, there is a slot in it on the outside of the assembly, you can use a small Flathead to twist it into position and line it up, slide the door back in, then push the white gear back into place and you should be good to go. But I would recommend to check operation of the door, latch, and spring before re-installing the assembly back into the headliner.

It sounds alot more complicated than it really is... all in all, a 15 min job cause I had to stop and make some orange juice for my son lol.

Justin

TNScrambler

Reaction score
I knew it would. But I've been trying to just find another sunglass holder, and from Ford I can only buy the whole assembly for like $350 or so. I am going to call some Junkyards and see if I can just get the glasses holder.

Ebay has yielded nothing so far, unless I'm searching on the wrong thing.

That's pretty cool what you put up there - where'd you get it? Is it a gps or android tablet?

Thanks!

What color is your interior, I have an extra black or dark graphite (whatever color they call it) sunglass holder... You can have it if you'll cover the cost of the USPS flat rate box.

Justin

obonaven

Reaction score
I pulled the mirror out put a 4.5" monitor in it's place. It's not installed yet since my truck got hit and is in the shop now. Here is a pic of the door with the monitor in it. It's just not installed yet.

2ro12mg.jpg