The best suspension upgrades. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awbarrett1001

Reaction score
are apparently not stock ones.

I don't think this had been asked before, but would the air bags from the air suspension in the excursion fit in the expedition? I mean mainly, cuz i like the idea of the suspension being the way it is, and i can still add a 2 in lift to it. But if the bags are so notorious for having problems, wouldn't there be a better solution to it other than swapping to a coil conversion? I mean are there any other better bags to use? or are all air bags and compressors created equal when it comes to this?
:beatdeadhorse5:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was not aware Excursions even offered air suspension. Adding Firestone Ride-Rite (I think that was the name) was a popular Excursion aftermarket add-on for towing duty. We had a 7.3L Limited and I thought it pretty much had all options, but don't recall anything with an air suspension. We are talking 15+ years ago and my memory isn't what it once was.

I don't agree Expedition air suspension are notorious for having problems. I think Expeditions are notorious for having owners who neglect air suspension problems.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of you could adjust the leveling lever to increase the height. Wont quite be 2 inches (probably an inch at most) but it will be higher than stock and free

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anti sway bars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Awbarrett1001

Awbarrett1001

Reaction score
I was not aware Excursions even offered air suspension. Adding Firestone Ride-Rite (I think that was the name) was a popular Excursion aftermarket add-on for towing duty. We had a 7.3L Limited and I thought it pretty much had all options, but don't recall anything with an air suspension. We are talking 15+ years ago and my memory isn't what it once was.

I don't agree Expedition air suspension are notorious for having problems. I think Expeditions are notorious for having owners who neglect air suspension problems.

Maybe they didn't, I'm not sure myself, I just seen the aftermarket versions, and figured they would be better since they seem like they would be heavy duty compared to the Expeditions stock, and I couldn't find any "heavy duty" bags. I figured it came down to maintenance. Just like everything else in the automotive world. I had an 03 VW Passat with well over 200k mi, because of maintenance.

Since this post though, I have since ordered a conversion kit for air to coil. I plan on doing quite a bit of off road in the future, so I figured I would go coil with a decent lift from RC or Rancho. We'll see, I haven't had it long enough to change my mind a million times.

OP
OP
Awbarrett1001

Awbarrett1001

Reaction score
Anti sway bars

As far as the Anti-sway bars, are there any better than the next? For Off-Roading? I just found out one of my sway bar links are busted anyway, so i'm going to be replacing the links and i thought about the sway bar too since im under there.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about offroading... it tightens ur suspension to reduce body roll so if u want flexibility u may not want to do it

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the Anti-sway bars, are there any better than the next? For Off-Roading? I just found out one of my sway bar links are busted anyway, so i'm going to be replacing the links and i thought about the sway bar too since im under there.

Upgraded swaybars for onroad and disconnect-able end links for offroad.

Jeff55v

Reaction score
Speaking of bag to coil over conversions, I bought my truck with worn out Monroe conversion coil overs in it. I replaced them with Strutmaster coil overs, and am very happy with them.

80BD8012-671D-477F-94F2-9C226DDAFF72.jpeg

Fun2Bee

Reaction score
I found that replacing the rubber bushings with polyurethane in the struts/shocks and sway bar mounts made a big difference in firming up both the ride and the sway. The truck corners much better on mountain roads.