"The Tank" – a thread by StreetCreeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started with the drivers door then the driver side rear then the passenger rear and of course it was the passenger front that was the issue lol!

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also with the glass. I had the mobile people come out and do it while at work.
The glass price depends on which one you want there is plain glass, glass with the back dots across the top. And glass with the blue tint and dots. Plain is the cheapest blue tint and dots is the most expensive. 250 for mine, glass only. This brand has held up really well to rocks and things flying off of peoples tires and I have had no issues.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
StreetCreeper

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
I started with the drivers door then the driver side rear then the passenger rear and of course it was the passenger front that was the issue lol!

How interesting that it was the passenger front for you too. Yesterday I had a few moments to investigate which switch is having issues and I found it to be the front passenger side as well. I was surprised it wasn't the drivers door! I shouldn't have been though since the front passenger door was used almost as much as the driver. This doesn't give me much confidence in the driver side switch since it's seen more use than any of them. I'll probably just order two pin switches and replace both at the same time so I don't have to mess with another failure in the near future.

For anyone else reading this thread and needing a simple way to figure out which door sensor is on the fritz, try the following:

1) Get in and start vehicle and put transmission in drive but don't actually drive away.

2) Wait for interior lights to shut off automatically (truck thinks you are driving and will shut off the overheads even though it thinks there is a door ajar)

3) Once the interior lights have shut off on their own, start by opening the drivers door and watch the interior lights. If the lights come back on when you open the door – your pin switch is working. Shut the door and try the next one.

4) Keep checking doors one at a time until you get to a door that when opened – doesn't turn on the interior lights. This will be the door with the sticking or failed pin switch.

5) Replace or repair as needed.

Also with the glass. I had the mobile people come out and do it while at work.
The glass price depends on which one you want there is plain glass, glass with the back dots across the top. And glass with the blue tint and dots. Plain is the cheapest blue tint and dots is the most expensive. 250 for mine, glass only. This brand has held up really well to rocks and things flying off of peoples tires and I have had no issues.

Nice! Pilkington glass is highly regarded in other automotive circles including Toyota where I've spent most of my time. I'm hoping to save my OEM windshield and just replace the seal/gasket, but if I do need a new one, I think I'll go for Pilkington or another OEM.

I refuse to use sub-par crap that I've heard a lot of installers like Safe-T-Lite and other chains often use. Good to know you are happy with the Pilkington windshield for your Expedition.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How interesting that it was the passenger front for you too. Yesterday I had a few moments to investigate which switch is having issues and I found it to be the front passenger side as well. I was surprised it wasn't the drivers door! I shouldn't have been though since the front passenger door was used almost as much as the driver. This doesn't give me much confidence in the driver side switch since it's seen more use than any of them. I'll probably just order two pin switches and replace both at the same time so I don't have to mess with another failure in the near future.

For anyone else reading this thread and needing a simple way to figure out which door sensor is on the fritz, try the following:

1) Get in and start vehicle and put transmission in drive but don't actually drive away.

2) Wait for interior lights to shut off automatically (truck thinks you are driving and will shut off the overheads even though it thinks there is a door ajar)

3) Once the interior lights have shut off on their own, start by opening the drivers door and watch the interior lights. If the lights come back on when you open the door – your pin switch is working. Shut the door and try the next one.

4) Keep checking doors one at a time until you get to a door that when opened – doesn't turn on the interior lights. This will be the door with the sticking or failed pin switch.

Nice! Pilkington glass is highly regarded in other automotive circles including Toyota where I've spent most of my time. I'm hoping to save my OEM windshield and just replace the seal/gasket, but if I do need a new one, I think I'll go for Pilkington or another OEM.

I refuse to use sub-par crap that I've heard a lot of installers like Safe-T-Lite and other chains often use. Good to know you are happy with the Pilkington windshield for your Expedition.

I had no idea that pilkington was a good brand. Lol. I don’t know much of anything about auto glass. Awesome that my insurance actually paid for something good. In Florida they will pay for windshield repair or if need be replace it once a year for free with comprehensive on the policy. Never thought about issuing the lights while in gear. Probrably could have saved me a lot of time. I guess you live and learn.

jimp

Reaction score
I had an 2003 that the door ajar was a pain. It started when I washed the car and lubed everything. I finally got it to stop by spraying contact cleaner in the latch, no lube of any kind. I live on a gravel road and assumed that the lube and dust gummed everything up. You might try cleaning it with contact cleaner and see what happen.

As far as the running boards go they make nice parking lot door guards but really take away a lot of ground clearance. So you need to decide what you want and need.

I just turned the reverse aid off on the mirrors and forgot about the problem.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with your windshield, not from what you posted anyway. Its just the rubber seal that needs replacing or even just patching/reattaching

Pilkington is actually a curseword in BMW circles....very verrrrry squishy and prone to chips cracks and sandblasts.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!

Good info! Will be checking them soon! Hopefully it will be the driver's door first so I don't have to pull all the door panels hunting for it – as that would be my typical luck.
I had the same problem and I just shot a bunch of WD-40 in each latch and opened and closed each door about 20 times and now no more door ajar.
It's been at least a year and all is still good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk