thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Si I have been in the "great" state of new jersey the last two weeks on a business trip/vacation. During the trip my heat started to go. Its not cold but its not coming out hot either. I took it to my mechanic yesterday and he said he thinks it the thermostat. It would be $75 to fix it but he said 90% of the time when you change the thermostat the intake wont go back on properly and that would be another $600-$700 if that happens. Has anyone had to do this?

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
better find a new mechanic....mine is sitting right on top and takes to bolts to remove if you don't take the hose off....stop by Tennessee on your way home and I will do it for 400.00....LMAO...you can always google it and it will show you how simple it is...dont have to do anything with the intake....

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to believe...but i havent done mine yet...i'm suppose to so i can throw an 190 thermo in there...

BIGski

Reaction score
I have a 99 exp with the 4.6l. I just worked replaced the headgaskets and the thermostat is on the front drivers side of the intake. On the end of the top radiator hose...

Like BakerEdition said there are 2 bolts that hold the thermostat in place..remove them and then you can pop the thermostat and rubber o-ring out with no problems..

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its on the top. super easy to do. but drain some of the coolant out your rad first. it will help with the spill from the hose. and its only 2 bolts. and use the same stat. the stock one was designed for the engine. dont change to a 190 or a 180 or a 160. itll make your engine run hotter or colder which will make you lose power or cause problems. have a buddy who can confirm that.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHOISMOOTOO changed his to the JET performance stat and no problems...

OP
OP
thebeast1190

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its as easy as you guys say it is any idea what he could have been taking about? I going to head over to autozone tomorrow to see if they have them in stock.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have my doubts that the thermostat is actually your issue. Is the motor running cold on the temp gauge? I would consider blend door as potential problem. Feel you radiator hose coming out of the thermostat. You could also feel the hoses going to the heater core to confirm.

Also make sure your coolant level is correct.

Last edited: