Those with catch cans...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All vehicles produce this. On engines with direct injection, it may coat the intakes valves. Turbo vehicles produce more blow by, because of forced induction. There is no safe way to clean intake valves, without potential turbo damage. They must be cleaned, by removing the head. Ford claims a second set of port injectors, solved the problem. They could of added a catch can instead(If it worked). It would been much cheaper than retooling the engines and adding more fuel injectors. The older, direct injection only, models should definitely have one. Ford did not want the negative impact, of new owners dumping out an oily mess, on a regular basis. They know people spending $70K, would not be happy about such a task. I doubt the EPA, would approve it.

Here we go again :facepalm: :whymewhyme:

Not one automobile manufacturer installs a catch can from the factory. Not a million dollar Bugatti nor a $15k Kia or anything in between has one. Its not only a Ford thing or an Ecoboost thing, as much as you wish it was. Catch cans do work. The science and the proof is undeniable

I do agree that it would certainly be a maintenance item and have to be drained periodically which I would guess is a huge factor in not making them oem. PCV systems have done the job for decades no reason to change it up now.

Not gonna derail this thread so Im glad to see everyones cans are working as designed.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I emptied mine again today. 600 miles and 1oz in it. I’m going to check it again in about another 600 miles. With a 3oz can I want to keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So guys—tomorrow I am getting into a 2016 with 38,000 miles on it.

Purchased extended bumper to bumper to 98K miles. Stuff is just too expensive these days not to gamble the couple thousand dollars up front....and I am typically NOT a warranty guy.

Catch can or not? Any official word on IF it affects warranty coverage? To me, it seems like a logical component to have.

Also read a bit on tunes, and seems folks do tune their EBs while under warranty. Is this kosher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its gonna be up to the dealer and shouldn't come into play unless you have some sort of issue with the motor. Fact is its not an OEM part so even if it didn't contribute to the issue in question they could still deny a warranty claim.

Ive got 17K miles on my 17 model and have had it tuned for probably the last 5k miles. It runs so much better. But I have faith in this motor and Im not worried I'll have any issues with it. Just know though that a tune is an instant warranty voider.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Simply return to stock tune 50-100 miles before bringing the truck in for any warranty work. It takes less than 10 minutes, and the tunes (I run a 5 star 87 octane performance tow tune) greatly increase day to day drivability. As long as you are not running an extreme performance tune, there really isn't any harm that will come to your motor. It's not like a mild tune is giving you 100+ horsepower or additional torque or even boost pressure.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reviving the thread...here is a pic of my catch can today with about 1.5 ounces and 1500 miles:

JLT Catch Can - 1.5 OZ.jpg

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What amount per 1,000 miles is everyone else getting?

I’m averaging about 1 ounce per 1,000 miles.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't doubt these amouts reported, but it's hard to believe these 3.5's have this much blow by! Even on jlt's Web site they say, if drain at oil changes it should never get full. At 1 oz. per 1k miles. You'd have to empty it atleast 2 times before the oil change.

I've only put around 1k miles on my Mustang, since I installed the Moroso oil separator. Today while out in the garage, I decided to drain it. And it was a waste of time, barely anything trickled out.

So the 3.5l twin turbo setup must have alot more blow by than my 4.6l with a Roush 2.3L phase 2 Supercharger.

This makes me really want to get a oil separator on my Expy asap, but it most likely will have to wait till spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I thought Ford, corrected the dirty intake valve problem, with the return of port injectors? 2011-2015 are the motors that may have issues. Beware!