Throttle body repair on the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is just a report on an issue that was resolved by a rural mobile mechanic. We were towing a travel trailer from WA to PA and had our 2017 Limited go into Limp Mode the second day out. Fortunately we were still near the campground. Calls to two Ford dealers in Spokane got me “3 weeks to a month” before they could look at it. One dealer service guy guessed “throttle body” when I pressed for possible answer. Private mechanic also couldn’t take us in, but guessed throttle body. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it. It ran fine so we took off. It crapped again outside Yellowstone. Nearest Ford dealer said 3 weeks. The RV park recommended a local mobile mechanic. My wife called them and said we were 99% sure it was a throttle body problem. Mechanic located one in Billings, was at the RV park the next day, codes read “throttle body..” He swapped out the throttle body and we were good to go. Best $400 I spent on the trip! Now to try and get my money back from Ford warranty!

Michael McC

Reaction score
My daughter had this happen in her '13 EcoBoost F150. On advice of a parts store employee, they disconnected the air hoses, cleaned it out, and carried on their way. Still going several hundred miles later. I told her to replace it, of course.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest getting an ELM327 adapter to pull these codes. My wife got a code while driving ~6 miles to work. I grabbed my tools and replaced the throttle body in the parking lot at her job.

Reaction score
We just ran into this problem on our 2016 Limited EL w/ 75k..... that we purchased September 11th of this year! Yeah a month ago. Our warranty covered it, but a real pain to have happen after driving for a week or two. Of course we had to wait a week or two to get it into the dealer to fix, but its fixed.

After learning that it was the throttle body, I looked up pricing for a replacement. Not too bad, I think the OEM was around $200 and aftermarkets less than that.

I am curious now, if after replacement it is a permanent fix? Or should I expect it to come back up down the road.
If the chance of it happening again, I think it might be worth buying a backup to stash in the truck for road side replacement if needed.
Pictures, because posts don't count without them....right?

65308141798__BFB9679F-64C3-4050-B284-EA339C0DBA45.jpgimage0.jpeg

gkretro

Reaction score
I had to replace the throttle body on my 2017 two weeks ago. Used the official Ford part, dealer had many in stock. My mechanic told me the fact that the had so many in stock probably indicated that its a well known problem (which seems confirmed by various internet stories). He also told me that Ford has changed the part number for the throttle body which indicates its been modified from the original. So far my truck runs fine, it was slipping into limp mode with increasing frequency, but since the repair I towed a cargo travel for 100+ miles plus various trips around town w/o any issues, so I'm satisfied that its fixed.

MAC1

Reaction score
It's the throttle body, common problem. I started a Thread in mid August on my 2016 with 80K on it, started going into limp mode had to finally have it towed to the dealer. They replaced the throttle body and no problems since, fingers crossed.

sulatek

Reaction score
This part "throttle body" is considered a serious problem in Ford models,
especially EcoBoost models.
I do not know what prevents the production department at Ford from meeting urgently and trying to remedy the problem!!

We did not find this problem prevalent in other brands of vehicles
On the contrary,
Japanese and Korean cars are hardly ever heard of, and if they do,
it is just a passing cleaning and maintenance that can be walked without