ticking sound from motor 1997 EB 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

In my 1997 5.4 EB Expy, I have a ticking sound coming from the passenger side, kind of by the tire inside the engine compartment.. My guess was an exhaust leak.

My mechanic said seems like it's coming from the exhaust manifold. He said he would leave it as in a truck this age, the bolts would be rusty and stuck etc. Could snap one etc.

I could never do this work. My questions are;

What is the negative if I leave it, harm to the truck etc.
Anything else I can do until I get it done.
How much would the average cost be and what if a bolt does snap off.

Thanks again for all the help.

Brian

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's right about the bolts. Does the ticking get worse when engine is warm? One easy and cheap way to narrow down where noise is coming from is to get a big screwdriver, put handle up to your ear, put blade towards Exaust or valve cover and narrow down the noise. The vibration against your ear drum will get louder when you find your ticking source. As far as damage, your SUV will run a leaner fuel mixture with an Exaust leak, which is hard on valves in engine. If the leak and condition gets bad enough, you can burn a valve. Then you gotta pull motor apart. As always, diagnose the noise and get someone to fix the problem. Usually experienced Exaust shops are your best bet to handle rusty bolts as they have heat to ease removal. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems like it quiets down as it gets warmer but I will do a bit more listening. It is not a very loud tick, very slight. Easy to hear when you have the window open and driving against a divider, you get a nice echo, easier to hear it.

I don't want to do any damage to my motor for sure. What is a ballpark of what this job might run if it is exhaust manifold? Also would a mufler shop be able to do a job like this?

Thanks.

Brian

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Labor time to do Exaust manifold on ford expedition.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Was on wrong screen. Well my Exaust shop is closed now, but you can count on about 2-3 hours labor plus parts. The biggest issue is stuck rusted nuts and studs on Exaust. One thing I used to do real carefully was fire up engine and with my hand when engine was cold to slight warm, run your hand along manifold and collector on Exaust where it goes out towards rear. Feel for a leak, you'll feel it on your palm. Just do it before it gets hot. Don't need to explain that. Good luck

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I did call Meineke and they gave me a price to do both gaskets of between $380.00 to $550.00 depending on bolt breakage? What's your thoughts on a shop like them or Midas? They seem to do alot of exhaust work? Or do you guys think stick with local mechanic? Thanks again.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Decided to "not" go with Midas or Meineke. Found a local custom exhaust shop. They will do the one that is leaking with a new exhaust manifold for under $300.00. Getting it done after the holidays. Thanks. Bolts do not look that bad.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah you might be better off with a smaller shop. Midas really isn't into Exaust work anymore, despite the name. You need to ask shop if their equipped to handle rusted or stuck bolts. Check their work on yelp if you can. Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling about shop. Smaller shops are usually better.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Verify first if it's really an exhaust leak. With the engine cold, iconnect a vacuum cleaner hose on the tailpipe securely, get a length of garden hose to use as a listening device and turn on the vacuum. Point the end of the garden hose around the exhaust manifold bracket and listen for a hissing sound.