Tierod / Lower Ball Joint Replacment Costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JediKnight2

Reaction score
About where am I gunna land if I have someone do the inner and outer tie rods on both sides and lower ball joints on both sides? Trying to figure out if I am going to block off time to do it myself or have someone do it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best bet is to call around to local shops to get an estimate. Anything else is just a wild guess and not worth anything.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's a lot of work. Look for an independent front end shop or a truck shop that's not busy. I'd guess five or six hours' work with the usual big parts markup.

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
I see labor times as follows:
Inner and outer tie rods - both sides = 1.8hrs
Lower ball joint - both sides = 3.3hrs
Alignment = 2hrs
Total = 7.1hrs
Your local shop labor rates may vary, but I would imagine it to be around $1,000 in labor costs alone.

larkja

Reaction score
I don't have a 2nd gen, but going through this with my 1st gen right now (2000 Eddie Bauer). Unfortunately, they can't just get ball joints; they need the entire control arm. So, I am doing upper and lower ball joints/control arms, idler arms, and alignment. It's costing me a tick over $2,000 parts and labor.

I do a lot of maintenance, but not going to attempt this one. First off, I don't have all the tools, and secondly, it's my daily driver and I'm not risking my family in the event I mess something up. So, yes, a bit expensive but I figure it will last me another 100,000. Small investment IMHO.

Last edited: