Ball Joint Replacement - Steel vs Aluminum Knuckles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacktail

Reaction score
I am going to replace my lower front ball joints. Some of the ball joints for sale on Rock Auto specify steel vs aluminum steering knuckles. I ran a magnet on my 2006 eddie bauer expy and determined that my knuckles are aluminum.

Is the difference between the ball joints sold for steel vs aluminum knuckles just the diameter of the nut to compensate for a sleeve in the aluminum knuckle, or is there a difference in the bolt size as well?

I had planned on using the Moog K80149 ball joints as a replacement part, but the steel vs aluminum question has given me pause. Anyone have experience installing these particular ball joints in your 2nd gen expy?

I realize that Moog is not what it used to be, but my vehicle has 180,000 miles on it and I anticipate changing the entire lower arms at some point in the future due to the bushings getting old. So, I'm ok with $20 ball joints that I can grease and that might only last 60K miles.

Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
B

blacktail

Reaction score
I called the Moog technical support line. I was told that the specs for both ball joints is the same and that the "aluminum" knuckle joint k500060 is likely being phased out for k80149. The only difference seems to be the inclusion of a washer with k500060.

Last edited:

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t use Moog ball joints. Non stop replacing them. Use motorcraft. I get mine from rock auto.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett