Tips for running RCA cables from HU to back??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

philly single

Reaction score
Hey Guys -

I'm putting in a pretty basic system in my 2001 Navigator. I have the sub taken care of, all the door speakers in and new wires run...but the part that is driving me NUTS is trying to figure out how to run the RCA cables from the HU through the dash and to the amp in back.

I can get a metal wire from behind the HU and out the bottom to the driver side, but can feed the actual cables.

Any tips? Do I need to really rip the dash apart to run these cables?

Thanks,
Jay

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid so. It's not usually to bad. There are probably videos on youtube that show you how to do it.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 suggestions. 1 when you fish the wire through hook the RCAs near the middle of the cable, bend back the wire 3-4 " an tape where they meet and slowly pull through. 2 pull the RCAs from the top down withy he same method. A lot of times you can hook going up through the dash but it I super clear going down.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran mine backwards...meaning I hooked it up to the amp then ran it to head unit...one key thing is to run it opposite of the power wire so u dont get interference noise...I ran mine under the carpet and out of the carpet on driver's foot area then up in the dash to head unit...dont know bout ur truck or year but my carpet came up pretty easily for me to run it under...again...keep all speaker and rca's away from power wires

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If needed u can buy extensions for the rca too...I think I have a 20ft rca cord for both my amps

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one key thing is to run it opposite of the power wire so u dont get interference noise...

Generally this is true and ALWAYS a good practice. There are some exceptions. When in doubt pay for a QUALITY set of shielded RCAs. This is the most common place for induced noise into a system.

OP
OP
P

philly single

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, I've always been clear on the power one side / RCA's other side.

Guess this weekend, I'll try again. I tried going from the top down (HU out and down through the dash) with no luck. I know there's an opening there - I can get a metal hanger through there...just not the cables yet.

If no go, then guess I'll have to start taking apart the dash.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally this is true and ALWAYS a good practice. There are some exceptions. When in doubt pay for a QUALITY set of shielded RCAs. This is the most common place for induced noise into a system.

How did the sound reduction material work? I happen to have a roll of it left and thought about covering at least the 3rd row back in not the whole floor.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without getting too offtopic, the sound deadening i have completed works GREAT. 3 layers on all doors including the rear gate (1 on outter skin 2 on inner) as well as the floor of the rear. Plan is to do the rest of the floor as well as the roof.

Philly single, you do not have to take the dash apart to run the RCAs. It is easier drivers side, take the radio surround off and radio out and put a light in the drivers foot well. You will see a few places that light can be seen through. Run the wire down from the top of the dash then hook the RCAs and tape the hook either in the foot well or the top of the dash and pull the wire AND push the RCA. If is snags a bit pull back turn/angle slightly and go again. it will go through. I got 3 of these through and they are NOT small.

70058019-53B5-49E4-970F-2058A93A77A9-6924-00000947ED1EDCE0_zps20df9528.jpg

OP
OP
P

philly single

Reaction score
Hey man -

I cannot thank you enough for the tips! After spending, literally hours on my own. I followed your tips and ran 3pr of cables from the new HU to the amp in probably 30m.

I owe you some beers.
Jay