Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also ... since I just this morning installed my winter tires (which are Light Truck tires) and I had to think about this. I run 44 psi in those EVEN though I'm running a normal load. Even less than normal, since I took all the seats out of the rear cabin. So in other words, LT tires need "some amount" of higher pressure even at normal load ... is my understanding.

I told Goodyear about this and they wouldnt pump them up to 44 psi. Said the sticker is 35 so thats what they do. Legal mumbo jumbo I guess. Fine, I'll do it myself. Then I took it to Valvoline for an oil change and told them "dont even look at the tires, I run 44 psi". If I didnt say that they would probably lower them to 35psi.
Any shop that refuses to inflate a tire to anything different than what the sticker on the automobile says is crazy. Now, they should not be willing to inflate them over what the maximum inflation pressure stamped on the side of the tire says.
I guess they think they're covering their ass but they could actually be making things more dangerous. We must all remember the Firestone Explorer Fiasco where the problem was because of the tires being at such low PSI recommendation from Ford.
Some will argue that it was the tires fault too or only the tires fault but the simple fact is if they would have kept 35 PSI and those tires few would have had problems.
You will never catch me putting under 32 psi in any tire on an automobile.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone worry about age of tires besides the recommended PSI? For example I will change camper tires close to 5 years or sooner if tread goes away. Should car tires be replaced by age?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just inspect them for dryrot/cracks/crazing. Small amounts don't concern me.
But tires in infrequent service will rot off before you will wear out the tread.