Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has 35 on door sticker, couple questions, if you run say 40 does it effect TPMS? How do use the chalk method to check for proper inflation/wear?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Google chalk tire wear testing...should get you a lot.

Basically you draw a heavy even chalk line across the tire tread and then drive in a straight line to see if the center or edges are wearing the chalk faster. If the sides are wearing more you air up the tire more. If the center is getting worn first you reduce air.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The standard stems will fail at 60#

My grandpa popped a 35 psi tire at about 60 one time..Was airing it up and not paying attention and scared the heck out of him but luckily not hurt.
You explode a 80 psi 10 ply or truck or bus and you will not be ok.

Speaking of zipper failures...what's anyone's experience on this.
I had a 10 ply Michelin LTC MS or MS2 265/70-16 I think that was getting low often. It would get down to like 42 but no lower.
I ran it at 70-72.
When airing it up I heard a creaking sound. Crackling like. There was some checkering on sidewall but tread was awesome.
Comments????

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Speaking of zipper failures...what's anyone's experience on this.
I had a 10 ply Michelin LTC MS or MS2 265/70-16 I think that was getting low often. It would get down to like 42 but no lower.
I ran it at 70-72.
When airing it up I heard a creaking sound. Crackling like. There was some checkering on sidewall but tread was awesome.
Comments????

I'm thinking there was a minimum wheel width that the tire in question may have been exceeding? Otherwise I have no idea.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if this is any help, but our 14 passenger Ford Transit vans that we haul people in, have 49 up front and 72 psi rears. That's with duallys or regular 2 tire rears. And yes, I'm always seeing a van with the tire light on. Apparently the high pressure is killing the sensors. You'd think they'd put in ones, especially the rears to handle that 72 pounds pressure.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
There was a thread on this last year (or so). I seem to recall that if you're running Light Truck tires (10 ply, rated up to 80 psi) like I am, you need to calculate or measure the appropriate pressure to use? Somebody had a chart from the Tire & Rim Association to calculate. There is also the chalk method, which displays tread contact with the pavement.

You dont want to just fill to max pressure I thought. Tire pressure should match the weight carried, more weight = more pressure? Thats the idea with those tires, as weight carried increases ... the tire pressure is increased to compensate. The tires have beefy sidewalls to be able to handle that. If you have a "normal" load on the tire and crank it up to max psi that isnt good?
Also ... since I just this morning installed my winter tires (which are Light Truck tires) and I had to think about this. I run 44 psi in those EVEN though I'm running a normal load. Even less than normal, since I took all the seats out of the rear cabin. So in other words, LT tires need "some amount" of higher pressure even at normal load ... is my understanding.

I told Goodyear about this and they wouldnt pump them up to 44 psi. Said the sticker is 35 so thats what they do. Legal mumbo jumbo I guess. Fine, I'll do it myself. Then I took it to Valvoline for an oil change and told them "dont even look at the tires, I run 44 psi". If I didnt say that they would probably lower them to 35psi.

Last edited:

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
FOUND A CHART!!

Attachments

• Discount-Tire-inflation.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 12

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 34 -36# unless I am pulling the camper, then I max out front and back at 50#.