Tire Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wiltfong

Reaction score
Hi all! Coming up on 47k for my 2017 with 20" wheel/tire package and its time to replace the rubber. Had my heart set on General Grabber A/TX (275/55R20) but guy from Tire Rack warned me against them due to "truck metric" vs. "passenger metric". With that said, he went on to recommend Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, Firestone Destination A/T2, and Kumho Road Venture AT51. I'm a total novice when it comes to tire buying so A. I'm looking to add some more knowledge as I do my research and B. looking for reviews on any of the tires above or recommendations you may have for replacement tires. Looking for decent off-road capability, competent in snow/wet driving, and something that looks good. Other than that, I'm pretty open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all! Coming up on 47k for my 2017 with 20" wheel/tire package and its time to replace the rubber. Had my heart set on General Grabber A/TX (275/55R20) but guy from Tire Rack warned me against them due to "truck metric" vs. "passenger metric". With that said, he went on to recommend Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, Firestone Destination A/T2, and Kumho Road Venture AT51. I'm a total novice when it comes to tire buying so A. I'm looking to add some more knowledge as I do my research and B. looking for reviews on any of the tires above or recommendations you may have for replacement tires. Looking for decent off-road capability, competent in snow/wet driving, and something that looks good. Other than that, I'm pretty open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

You mean he recommended not going to the LT tire?

I upgraded our 15 and now our 17 to LT tires as soon as the tread was close to being needed to be replaced.

I think the Tow package equipped 4x4’s should have come with them from the factory. The stiffer sidewall in general seems to improve the handling.

There is A LOT of discussion on here about proper pressures to run in the LT tires, because the factory level of 35 is NOT enough.

About 2K ago, I put the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo3’s on ours. Love them. SO much better grip than stock in the wet. I also, put taller, because I added the 3/2 lift at the same time.

I think you would be happy with the Grabber ATX’s if you use the Expy to pull any weight, or routinely have it loaded down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michelin is what I always recommend. I just ordered 4 new Bridgestone Duellers for my 2007, I would feel more comfortable with Michelins but couldn’t quite swing them currently.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Michelin is what I always recommend. I just ordered 4 new Bridgestone Duellers for my 2007, I would feel more comfortable with Michelins but couldn’t quite swing them currently.

I am the opposite. Never been a fan of the Michelin Truck/SUV tires. There are MANY who swear by them though, but they are too expensive in my opinion also.

J, What is your take on the LT vs P tire debate?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the opposite. Never been a fan of the Michelin Truck/SUV tires. There are MANY who swear by them though, but they are too expensive in my opinion also.

J, What is your take on the LT vs P tire debate?

My current worn down Michelin’s are P tires, they ride great and are very quiet. Haven’t had any issue with them towing the boat. However winter is coming and tread is thin. The new Bridgestone tires I ordered are LT tires. It seemed there were more LT options than passenger rated.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
The Michelin LTX M/S LT276/65/18 tires on my 2013 ran 110k miles and still had some life left. Expedition definitely towed better with the LT tires.

I’ve had 4 Expeds since 2000 and all of them had the P series tires replaced with LT. No problem.

d3746cc57c09978b9edea839075121a8.jpg

Plati

Reaction score
Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
lots of good tires, 2 of my favorites on the Expy
are the Kumho's
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-Ro...-985-16dcc76045f924&athancid=null&athena=true

and Falken Wildpeak
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-W...MI5Kbfpuqc5QIVFIiGCh3QUAdrEAAYAiAAEgKkz_D_BwE

I've had good luck with Tire Buyer and various rebates

I go with E rated LT tires to get the best tread depth for SNOW
(coming soon to a road near me)

Wild Peaks are getting great reviews lately! Lots of the guys that tow, and see off road are loving them.

Heck, the Rubicon version of the Gladiator are coming with them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
Wild Peaks are getting great reviews lately! Lots of the guys that tow, and see off road are loving them.

Heck, the Rubicon version of the Gladiator are coming with them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
More than once have had people stop and gawk at my Wildpeaks and make favorable comments. They also work well on my 2003 Expy.
lots of good tires, 2 of my favorites on the Expy
are the Kumho's
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-Ro...-985-16dcc76045f924&athancid=null&athena=true

and Falken Wildpeak
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-W...MI5Kbfpuqc5QIVFIiGCh3QUAdrEAAYAiAAEgKkz_D_BwE

I've had good luck with TireBuyer and various rebates

I go with E rated LT tires to get the best tread depth for SNOW
(coming soon to a road near me)

Ok. I'm quoting myself. The epitome of pathetic I guess.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W light truck E rated version is 18/32" tread vs 14/32" passenger
Weight goes from 47 pounds to 60 (I don't care). 18/32" is a LOTTA tread depth

Falken has another tire RUBITREK … looks like AT3W, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/falken-rubitrek-at-vs-wildpeak-at3w.608946/ "only at select dealers" currently ??????

I googled this and it looks like Kumho has a manufacturing plant in Macon Georgia
http://www.kumhotireusa.com/about-u...-first-us-manufacturing-facility-in-macon,-ga

FALKEN has a manufacturing plant in Buffalo NY.
not sure if Wildpeaks made there but still good ...
https://www.falkentire.com/news-eve...duction-first-north-american-made-falken-tire

BUY AMERICAN WHERE POSSIBLE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev