Torque Convertor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what are the symptoms of a failing torque convertor? which part/s are most likely to fail?

i have my own ideas about these two questions, but i'd like to hear what you have to say.

thanks-

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To my knowledge, a torque convertor will not "fail". The unit is simply two halves of a turbine, that when coupled together will hold fluid. The engine turns one half, spinning the tranny fluid. The other halve is connected to the transmission. The impinging fluid from the engine side forces the tranny side to spin, thus moving the Expy...

It is the shaft seals are what will likely fail. Also, too low a tranny fluid level will cause problems, as will crappy fluid.

I suppose that if sand or something was in the tranny fluid (which would screw up a lot of other things), the turbine fins would wear away, but that is not likely to happen!

Anyone else??

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you experiencing an issue with your transmission? Perhaps a stuttering sensation while driving under certain conditions? How many miles have passed since the last trans fluid change?

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
about 15,000 miles since first to my knowledge tranny flush by a ford dealer. that is when the anti-shudder additive was put in. i'm actually having a slamming effect at all different speeds, but it has been when stopping (suddenly or slowly), taking off from a stop (either quickly or slowly), or sometimes in "passing" gear.

when i am braking, about the same time (just a tad after) i come to a stop there is this big slam. i took it to the dealer and they replaced the drive shaft. sorta helped a little, but it was still there...and now it has gotten worse with time.

my warranty is a little screwy in that i have to approve a tranny break down before they even send an adjuster out to look at it and verify if it's broken. same is true to have the T/C looked at.

personally, i think that the lock-up solenoid is bad, but again warranty says if it's bad it won't work at all so they won't approve any work.

my husband and i are trying to budget my 100K maintenance so that we don't have one huge bill in one month, but this slamming problem is driving me up the wall.

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here is maybe a little better info based on a reply from a different forum:

I had the "shudder" taken care of about 15,000 miles ago. I was having the shudder problem, and the ford dealer power flushed the tranny fluid and put it the anti-shudder additive. That cured the shudder, but it didn't cure this slam that is now really bad.

when i am stopping (especially coming to a hard stop) or taking off (again, especially taking off quickly) i get this "slam" like some part of the truck is catching up with another part.

so, of course i think it's a tranny problem...but i don't have any shifting problems between gears (either up or down).

that leads me to think that there is something about the T/C that isn't quite right...maybe like the lock up solenoid is bad, going bad, or broken. Most people have said if the T/C is bad you will know it, 'cause it won't work.

here's the anomolly to all of this slamming. approaching a stale green light at 45-55 mph. have to make a stop. at the end of the stop barely let up on the brake (just a millisecond before i am completely stopped) "SLAM!" then when i take off, no slam.

the opposite is also true. approaching a stale green light at 45-55 mph. have to make a stop. DO NOT let up on the brake at all. as the light is turning green, i let up on the brake (and BEFORE i can get my foot over on the gas) "SLAM!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1