Touch up paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We used our Expedition to pull a float in the 4th of July parade yesterday and while setting up one of the trailer walls got leaned up against the passenger side. Needless to say, the 2 bolts sticking out etched two nice spots down to the metal. Besides getting touch up paint from Ford, does anyone have any other recommendations? It looks like I may need a little primer to apply to the metal first? The color is the white tri-coat.

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to have my wife stop by at the body shop, looks like it needs sanded down a bit and then repainted. I would still rather diy, but not sure about my skills doing this...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to have my wife stop by at the body shop, looks like it needs sanded down a bit and then repainted. I would still rather diy, but not sure about my skills doing this...

I had several similar paint damage areas repaired some time ago at a local body shop. They did not sand and blend the entire panel, but rather did a spot preparation then use some type of small airbrush paint applicator to touch up the paint, then with clear coat.

I knew where the paint damage was (no metal damage) and it was almost impossible to determine where they had repaired the paint.

Ask around and try to find a shop that cares about perfection and excellent work - not an assembly line type body shop.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had several similar paint damage areas repaired some time ago at a local body shop. They did not sand and blend the entire panel, but rather did a spot preparation then use some type of small airbrush paint applicator to touch up the paint, then with clear coat.

I knew where the paint damage was (no metal damage) and it was almost impossible to determine where they had repaired the paint.
Was that a metallic paint color? I had 3 small slight scrapes that were too deep into the paint to buff out but not down to the metal; the body shop did sand and then had to blend out quite a bit around those areas to exactly match the metallic paint (Dark Matter Grey Metallic). $1,800, but a perfect job that is impossible to tell where they did the work.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was that a metallic paint color? I had 3 small slight scrapes that were too deep into the paint to buff out but not down to the metal; the body shop did sand and then had to blend out quite a bit around those areas to exactly match the metallic paint (Dark Matter Grey Metallic). $1,800, but a perfect job that is impossible to tell where they did the work.

Yes - a Chevrolet Impala with black metallic paint (with sort of a very small silver metallic in it- glistened in the sun).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire