TPMS strategy when replacing 7-year-old tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
The tire shop tells me that the TPMS in my 2004 Xpy cannot take battery replacement like those found in later years. So they are recommending replacing the TPMS along with the tires. I don't know If the TPMS is original or replaced. I do know that the Sears Guardian tires are dated Dec 2015. I took ownership in 2018.
I'm thinking that the TPMS was likely replaced. Is there any likelihood that the replacement TPMS could accept the replacement battery? If I replace, is the aftermarket TPMS the tire shop installs ok or should I insist on OEM?

This is my first experience with this topic so anything anyone has to say would be appreciated.

Last edited:

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tire pressure monitoring sensors cannot be serviced, basically the battery can't be replaced. I believe the factory sensors are expected to last 10yrs. The sensors in my '04 are certainly original, though I have been expecting them to fail for several years now. I install a service kit with each set of tires, basically that's a valve core, seal and new retaining nut. The service kits only cost a few bucks each are worth the price I think.

Here's the deal for me with the sensors. If you're not concerned about the price to have a tire removed from the rim, replace the sensor and mount/balance the tire again should a sensor fail then put it off. If one fails the others are likely not far behind. If you rely on the system then pre-emptively replace them.

Aftermarket sensors, well that would depend on the brand. I would tend towards Motorcraft OEM replacements, but Denso would likely be okay as well. I would not accept Dorman. RockAuto has Motorcaft for $49 each regular price. Denso are $31 each.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other suggestion, in your expedition, I suspect the TPMS units are mounted in the middle of the wheel with a large steel strap, these do come lose over time and allow the TPMS unit to move around, causing TPMS warning messages and unbalancing the wheels, in 2018 I replaced my TPMS units with new aftermarket units that fit in the valve stem, this means they cannot move around and cause balance issues, I also found the TPMS system became a little more robust, so I would strongly suggest going for valve mounted units. The TPMS units are quite expensive, so I doubt your units have been replaced before, my garage has never asked me if I wanted to change them, I just decided when I started getting a regular warning message the the TPMS system was not working To replace all 4 units. I used Amazon parts for the excellent return policy and paid about $80 for 4 units, your spare wheel does NOT have a TPMS unit fitted. You will also want a little programming/learning unit (again less than $20) so that you can get your car to recognize the new TPMS units (unless you have a garage fit them, the garage should have the programmer).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65