Tranny Hunting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PartTimer

Reaction score
My tranny seems to have an issue "hunting" between gears. I bought it used with 22k on it. It now has 33k on it and it seems that while cruising around 35 to 40 mph the tranny hunts between gears. Now this could have something to do with slight inclines, however it is very annoying. It should be noted this is a 99 XLT with the 5.4 liter motor. Anyone else with this issue?

Last edited:

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your transmission fluid level (and for any leaks). Very often, low tranny fluid level will cause this. Also, the system may be dirty, so a real tranny flush will help both of these issues.

I always advise folks to do a complete fluid change out (oil, trans, differentials, brake, etc.) when getting a used vehicle, simply because you really do not know how well it was kept up before you got it. It is good insurance.

OP
OP
P

PartTimer

Reaction score
I will indeed check. I did do a fluid check, all but the brakes and rear diff. It says it is a sealed system therefore not to change the rear. Besides that I don't know where to get the "additive" by Ford or how much it will be. I bought the vehicle off a deceased old couple.