Tranny/Transfer Case Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Expedition XLT with the 5.4 with the 100 tranny (I forget the exact name for it). I am encountering a noise that is making me cringe.

Before you ask:
- New tranny fluid. Yes, it is the right kind for the tranny (not the Mercon V)
- New fluid in the transfer case (Mercon ATF as speced)
- I replaced all the universal joints, but this did not change the symptoms.

Symptoms:
- No tranny slip
- No high revs without shifting
- Tranny seems to shift perfectly
- Under minimal load, it makes a shudder noise to the immediate right of the driver. No vibrations are felt.
- Shudder noise occurs in AWD, 4H and 4L

Other info:
- I have a broken anti-lock sensor on the left front (broke when replacing rotors 1 year ago and have not replaced), so the anti-lock light is on.

I have had AAMCO look at it as well as a friend who is a Saturn/GM mechanic. Neither have had any ideas about this.

HELP! :nono:

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You gave great detail, but kinda left out detail of the actual noise. What exactly is the noise, beyond a shudder? Also, I am not around here much, but I am at my own site alot. If you don't get an answer from me here, post it at the link in my siggy

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I think I left our the description of the sound because it is VERY hard to describe. It is not the sound of something physically loose in the driveline (like a broken mount). It is not pingy or high pitched. It repeats several times, does not seem to go to the speed of the engine or tire rotation, but is closer to the speed of the tire rotating. It is a "GLUG" "GLUG" "GLUG", low and bass. A resonating harmonic.

I do not recall if the ABS in the Expedition actually makes a noise when it releases. I had an early model ABS that made noise. This is the closest sound that I have experienced. Of course, this sound is immediately to the right of the driver, left of the front passenger.

Hope that helps!

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like something I'd have to hear to diagnose. Sorry

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
On another board, I am being directed towards the rear diff.

Anyone know about this TSB and what the soln is? After doing a TSB search, I am looking for more information related to the following:

TSB Lookup : FORD : 2000 : EXPEDITION
TSB data for: 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
Bulletin Number: 15319
Sequence Number: 630231
Date: 20011001
Component Name: 105500 POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DIFFERENTIAL UNIT
Make: FORD
Model: EXPEDITION
Year: 2000
Summary:
SOME VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE JUNE 8, 2000 AND EQUIPPED WITH A4WD MAY EXHIBIT A HIGH-SPEED MOAN OR DRIVELINE PULSATION/SHUDDER. *TT

jw1987

Reaction score
can you help me? I think I have the same problem

I have read your thread and think I may have the same problem. Especially the way you describe it in your last post. I am a little confused though about the acronym you mention....what is "TSB"?

were you able to find a solution to this problem? I have a 2000 Expd, but not sure if it was built prior to June 8th, 2000. I am experiencing this strange "gargling" sound that feels and sounds like it is coming from directly under the gas pedal. And my Expd seems to "clunk" firmly into gear when I take my foot off the gas and stop accelerating....so firmly that it sometimes even pulls the wheel a little. this problem has been going on for about 6 months and does not appear to be getting any worse. I have taken it to several shops (including the dealer) and they are all clueless.

please let me know what you have been able to find out...and what you have ruled out. one mechanic told me I simply needed to have my transmission fluid completely flushed and replaced. about $150 later, I have not noticed any difference.

thanks
-jw

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
My Experience

A TSB is a technical service bulletin. Ford issues it. But unless you have access to the database, you do not know the solution.

For me, I replaced all the tranny fluid first. Okay, I replaced it twice because I was not confident that the right fluid was put in the first time. I changed all the universal joints (although the looked fine). Then the transfer case. But, what helped was the rear diff fluid. Ford says this is never to be changed unless the rear diff is fully submerged in water. Well... mine actually was. Use the right synthetic oil (I believe 75/140 synthetic) and the friction modifier. In the manual it tells you the spec for the modifier. This pretty much eliminated the problem. It comes back occassionally, so I know at some point, the rear diff will need to be rebuilt.

For you: with the big clunk, does it sound like hollow metal? If so, check that driveshaft. My hunch is that it is loose and is slipping. You probably need to do the rear diff fluid too. I did the work, and the oil and modifier ran over $50.

For others who get stuck, flatratetech.com had some Ford mechanics that got me pointed in the right direction!http://flatratetech.com

jw1987

Reaction score
thanks

thanks a bunch. I really appreciate the info. I will try those things. - jw

Chesterfoxes

Reaction score
This is the gist of TSB 05-12-06:

"This article supersedes TSB 05-06-18 to update the Service Kit and Service Procedure information. Some vehicles may exhibit an axle whine or hum during acceleration, deceleration and/or cruise. An axle repair kit has been developed which incorporates most parts required for a comprehensive axle repair. The kit should be used instead of installing a complete axle assembly to repair an axle whine/hum. Replace Ring and Pinion (F3TZ-4121-AA). with Axle Kit and Components."

Yes, they used to install a complete new axle!!

My friend with a 2004 XLT had a whine everytime he had his foot on the gas - it would go away when he lifted his foot off the accelerator. After 25,000 miles, I rode with him and pointed out that, in fact, it wasn't normal. They did the TSB service (2-week wait for parts?) and hasn't been a problem since.

Paul

jprix82

Reaction score
On another board, I am being directed towards the rear diff.

Anyone know about this TSB and what the soln is? After doing a TSB search, I am looking for more information related to the following:

TSB Lookup : FORD : 2000 : EXPEDITION
TSB data for: 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
Bulletin Number: 15319
Sequence Number: 630231
Date: 20011001
Component Name: 105500 POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DIFFERENTIAL UNIT
Make: FORD
Model: EXPEDITION
Year: 2000
Summary:
SOME VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE JUNE 8, 2000 AND EQUIPPED WITH A4WD MAY EXHIBIT A HIGH-SPEED MOAN OR DRIVELINE PULSATION/SHUDDER. *TT

Does anybody have more info on this TSB? I believe this is my problem I've been chasing down for Months.