Transmission Cooling Line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the hose (near the fitting) on my transmission oil cooler line is starting to leak. Ordered a new one and expect it soon. Looking for any tips/tricks on removing the line as it goes into the radiator. When I rebuilt the transmission nearly 3 years ago, getting the line out of the fitting was not easy even with the tool. The problem seemed to be there was not enough room between where it goes into the fitting on the radiator and the first flare out on the line. Just couldn't seem to get the tool to compress and release the line. At that time, the radiator was drained so I just remove the entire fitting. Now, I don't have that option.

Has anyone seen the problem and know of a tip on how to get it out?

Thanks.

OP
OP
BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're using a transmission line tool right ? Not a fuel line tool . There's a difference. The transmission line tool has a lip to get into the release fitting, around the pipe flange. The fuel line tool does not.

Lisle Transmission Line Release Tool on Amazon

Thanks Hamfisted. I apparently did purchase a Lisle plastic version of the tool back in 2019. However, since all I remember is trouble, I am going to get the metal version and see if it works better. I will let you know how it works out.

OP
OP
BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, it's done. The Lisle scissor tool did not work out very well. I purchased a new design: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PP9GH8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lisle makes a similar one with their name stamped on it. It actually seats a little farther in, about .25 mm and catches the clip a little better. I used a pick to free up the clip a little before using the tool. It also has a little button the holds it together for a flat push. Any, another repair complete.

Last edited: