Transmission Issue: P0770 w/ Extreme Gear Selector Jerking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
2007 EL w/ 371K miles.

As I was leaving a store doing errands, I noticed a check engine light and the wrench icon on my instrument cluster. When I shifted from Park to Drive or Reverse the transmission ****** the car violently. Also, when I was driving home doing around 55mph, the tachometer showed in the 4,000 rpm range. I ran the code when I got home and had only one: P0770, which is Shift Solenoid "E" Malfunction.

Has anyone had experience with this issue/code? Hopefully it's just the solenoid ($30 part) which is the issue and not a more serious transmission problem.

Thanks in advance!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These transmissions are heavily solenoid based, likely the solenoid. @370k miles I’d drop the pan and replace the solenoid to see what happens. Nothing to lose if it fixes it it was an easy repair if not well you know what must be done.

D26BD40C-27B8-49AB-84AB-4F378AD3A665.png

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Took it to my mechanic and he replaced the solenoid. Thankfully, that fixed the problem and the transmission is shifting normally again.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not much to it if you need to change the fluid anyway. You can buy the whole bunch of solenoids in a pack, replace the fluid transfer sleeve which channels oil from the front pump to the valve body, and the 4 rubber sleeves in the ports that deliver oil to the box from the valve body and do it all at the same time. If that and new oil don't fix it it probably has serious issues. It all can easily be done without removing the trans. You should get a code directing you to a single solenoid if needed.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have on 08 Expy that is experiencing hard shifting. I have just under 320k and did a fluid change every 100k (I bought new). I like to diagnose- so this and understand and although I work at a dealership (not Ford) I like to understand the mechanical aspect (the civil engineer in me). So since about 250k it kinda liked to downshift outta 6th gear as soon as i touched the accelerator. As of late, on my way home from work 15min mostly highway- if i use cruise control and im on a hill it will jump to 5 to keep me at speed get me back up and will go back into 6th if i push it a little higher (meaning the shift point is at a higher rpm). If i notice it starts shifting funny, I can throw it in "N" shut it off and start it up - yes at 60 mph toss it back into "D" and will shift normally again... does this sound like a solenoid?? I do have 2 codes which I hope to fix soon but they are for it running lean (3rd tune up- plugs and coils right at 300k) p0171 and p0174... any thoughts??

69Rustang

Reaction score
Had the p0171 and P0174 on my wife’s old Explorer several years ago—I pulled the intake and put in new rubber o-ring gaskets. For the Explorer, it was problem solved. Hope it is that easy for your Expedition.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have on 08 Expy that is experiencing hard shifting. I have just under 320k and did a fluid change every 100k (I bought new). I like to diagnose- so this and understand and although I work at a dealership (not Ford) I like to understand the mechanical aspect (the civil engineer in me). So since about 250k it kinda liked to downshift outta 6th gear as soon as i touched the accelerator. As of late, on my way home from work 15min mostly highway- if i use cruise control and im on a hill it will jump to 5 to keep me at speed get me back up and will go back into 6th if i push it a little higher (meaning the shift point is at a higher rpm). If i notice it starts shifting funny, I can throw it in "N" shut it off and start it up - yes at 60 mph toss it back into "D" and will shift normally again... does this sound like a solenoid?? I do have 2 codes which I hope to fix soon but they are for it running lean (3rd tune up- plugs and coils right at 300k) p0171 and p0174... any thoughts??
At 320k miles it probably needs to be rebuilt but I would throw a used one in there at that many miles.

Hulkster

Reaction score
Had similar issue but forgot the plug one of my front cam sensors in. Glad to hear the fix for future refrence!