Transmission Jerks when Coming to Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Putting the old fluid back in just seems icky to me, but it may add back in the particles that were giving you the friction needed to mitigate the shudder
Exactly. So, add back that fluid (-24 ounces) and then add the 24 ounce Lucas?

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
I would do the Lucas first. If no luck, I would then try adding the old fluid
So if I do it that way, with no improvement, I would have to drop the pan to replace with previous fluid and risk losing the Lucas that was just added. Would I then add another Lucas?

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
So if I do it that way, with no improvement, I would have to drop the pan to replace with previous fluid and risk losing the Lucas that was just added. Would I then add another Lucas?
Also, since the Lucas is extremely thick, the easiest way to add it would be dropping the pan and adding it to the pan with some fluid. Otherwise, going through the small dipstick would be difficult.

Matticus

Reaction score
Yeah, just add more Lucas. Again, this is assuming the trans is living in borrowed time. So, I'm not worried about fluid being to thick,etc

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Yeah, just add more Lucas. Again, this is assuming the trans is living in borrowed time. So, I'm not worried about fluid being to thick,etc
Added a bottle this morning. Doing a lot of driving today so if there’s no improvement, I’ll add another this evening.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
After adding the 24oz bottle of Lucas Oil Transmission Fix, there was no change throughout the day. I then removed 24oz of fluid from the transmission and added a second 24oz bottle of the Lucas Oil. Shuddering is still severe and there’s is no improvement.

Not sure what else to do except wait until it eventually goes and replace it. Should not have dropped the pan and replaced with new fluid in the first place.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you say shudder,is this coming to a stop as in your original post,or is this something new? As both I and Alex said before,the bump shift on decel coming to a stop is a known issue that a tcm reflash fixes. If you now have a more pronounced shudder on decel coming to a stop,that may be something totally different as in a one way clutch,or a set of clutch discs internal to the transmission not releasing. Adding the lucas may actually have made it worse by gumming things up. I would go back to flushing the old fluid out. Run the trans to operating temp and then shutdown, Then remove a return trans cooler line and put into a bucket. Run the engine at idle as you are adding new fluid,old fluid goes into the bucket. Continue until you see clean fluid coming out of the return line. Shut down,put everything back together and top up fluid to proper level. Drive it for a few hundred miles to allow the new fluid to soak into the friction plates.
Back in the late nineties,this was an actual Ford fix for torque converter shudder on lock up. Customers were told to drive for 3000-5000 kilometers before returning. Don't recall offhand what a kilometer to mile conversion is,but i'm sure you can get the drift. Again,just my two cents,i've been out of that game for 15 plus years,that's why I stay in touch with the guys still in the game. Good luck Brother.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
When you say shudder,is this coming to a stop as in your original post,or is this something new? As both I and Alex said before,the bump shift on decel coming to a stop is a known issue that a tcm reflash fixes. If you now have a more pronounced shudder on decel coming to a stop,that may be something totally different as in a one way clutch,or a set of clutch discs internal to the transmission not releasing. Adding the lucas may actually have made it worse by gumming things up. I would go back to flushing the old fluid out. Run the trans to operating temp and then shutdown, Then remove a return trans cooler line and put into a bucket. Run the engine at idle as you are adding new fluid,old fluid goes into the bucket. Continue until you see clean fluid coming out of the return line. Shut down,put everything back together and top up fluid to proper level. Drive it for a few hundred miles to allow the new fluid to soak into the friction plates.
Back in the late nineties,this was an actual Ford fix for torque converter shudder on lock up. Customers were told to drive for 3000-5000 kilometers before returning. Don't recall offhand what a kilometer to mile conversion is,but i'm sure you can get the drift. Again,just my two cents,i've been out of that game for 15 plus years,that's why I stay in touch with the guys still in the game. Good luck Brother.
Hi Atman, actually today it seems as the jerking when coming to a stop is now gone and doesn't occur - I believe the Lucas Oil fixed it and was going to post that update. The shudder I'm referring to is in the 40-50MPH range while accelerating. The transmission grinds for a few seconds then harsh shuddering occurs until I accelerate/decelerate into a different gear. What do you recommend for that? Doing the fluid flush you mentioned?

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds exactly like the old aode/4r70w torque converter shudder. Doing the fluid flush I mentioned would also flush out the lucas treatment though. It's worth a try. Those were old 4 speed overdrives with a torque converter lock up. I think ours are up to six speeds now. Either way,you can actually see/feel at what gear its happening. Find a long straight open road with no traffic,start from a stop accelerating easy and watch the tach. Every time the tach momentarily bumps is a gear change. Count the gear changes up to six,then the torque should lock up. Try that and see at what point the shudder occurs. It will certainly pinpoint what the issue is. As I said before,good luck brother.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mphilli