Transmission or tourque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tacsat117

Reaction score
hey all,

I have a 1999 expedition EB 4 X 4 5.4. When it's cold outside and I put the truck in gear the engine spins up, but no movement, then it will catch and move forward. When I turn left or right out of my driveway It disengages again then catches and moves forward. After it Warms up the problem goes away until I stop in gear. I can feel the truck trying to engage while stopped at idle. There is also a sound like a jackhammer far away while stopped in gear.

Any guesses?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's both. Sorry for the bad news. I guess manual transmissions are more reliable. If you could do a swap to a 4 on the floor, much better.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I'm no expert in this field but there a couple of things you could do to pin point your problem a little better

Did you check the level or fluid in the transmission?

Is it still red/pink or black?

When was the last time the transmission serviced?

Might I suggest a pan drop and filter change, don't do a flush.

To reduce the symptoms can you possibly warm up the truck to operating temperature before driving?

Do you have any check engine lights on?

Google up "torque converter shudder" does your expedition experience that?

How long has this been happening for? Was it suddenly like that over night or did it worsen overtime?

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your trans an 4R70W or 4R100 or E4OD? have you checked adjustment on TR Sensor-along with all the previously mentioned things to check?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
20 years ago, I let someone move my car. They got it stuck in the snow. They tried "rocking it",back and forth and finally asked for help. The next day, when I put in D, there was a delay, engaging. It was worse in R. The next few days, the engine would rev and the car, barley wanted to move. The transmission was shot. The car had 38,420mi. The warranty expired at 36,000. The dealer replaced it free, but I had to pay the labor. I have not let anyone, drive my vehicles , since.