Transmission "Shuddering"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2008 EL...transmission is "shuddering" intermittently while driving. I know it needs fluid and filter change.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shuddering is bad. If you know it needs fluid and filter change do not delay doing so or you are going to need a new trans. I know, stating the obvious.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm probably going to hear crap on this one, but you don't do a filter/ fluid swap to fix an automatic transmission problem. How many miles on your vehicle? If transmission fluid is burnt, draining and refilling makes shift and noise problems worse. You will need to diagnose your problem first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
grasshopprdisco
Reaction score
I'm probably going to hear crap on this one, but you don't do a filter/ fluid swap to fix an automatic transmission problem. How many miles on your vehicle? If transmission fluid is burnt, draining and refilling makes shift and noise problems worse. You will need to diagnose your problem first.

It's past due for fluid and filter service anyway, approx 160k miles.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the shudder at certain speeds? Their have been quite a few forum members that have referred to their shuddering as rumble strips. It seems to be worst at about 40-50 mph. A few times it has been a problem with their torque convertor. Check online if their are any tsb bulletins from dealer. Sounds like either way trans will have to be torn into. You might also want to dump your codes from diagnostic port, to see if anything pops up. Rember, you don't want to guess and throw money and parts at your SUV. Keep us posted, what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same shuddering in my wife's 08 4.6 Exploder at 146k. I did a basic trans service (Motorcraft filter and Valvoline MaxLife ATF) and it cleared up immediately. Cost me about $60. I have since changed it to AMSOIL due to getting a great deal on it.

The weekend I got my Expedition I did a trans service on it as well. (Motorcraft filter and leftover AMSOIL) Preventative maintenance.

Just my $0.02.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also suggest seeing if there is an update for the tranny and ECU.

OP
OP
grasshopprdisco
Reaction score
Going in to shop this week for fluid and filter change, scheduling in between baseball games and practices. What about a modulator, is there one and should it be changed out also?