Transmission types

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

painoz

Reaction score
All,

As previously posted, transmission shot....60,000 miles. Have to replace. 2004 Expedition XLT 4x4 with 5.4L V8. I have the standard tow package. Is there a heavier duty transmission I should upgrade to? Not sure if there is more than one type for this model year. TIA.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
All,

As previously posted, transmission shot....60,000 miles. Have to replace. 2004 Expedition XLT 4x4 with 5.4L V8. I have the standard tow package. Is there a heavier duty transmission I should upgrade to? Not sure if there is more than one type for this model year. TIA.

I guess the first question is... was it maintained? If it wasn't it doesn't matter what transmission you have in it...

If I were you I would just replace what was in it and do the proper maintenance. i.e. fluid change every 50k with a filter change every other fluid change. If your beating on it do it every 30k, but that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
P

painoz

Reaction score
Yeah it was maintained. At 50,000 had power flush, larger tranny cooler installed and synthetic transmission fluid. No evidence of problems at that time.