Tune up and maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bama

Reaction score
I am taking my new to me 2007 EL to get a tune up Monday. The cheapest place I have found is $350 + $75 per plug. I also have a coil pack going bad and its $75 for the part plus labor. I've only had the Expy for a month and its got 107k miles. Would you pay an extra $150 to have the fuel system cleaned while its there? I have maintenance records showing all the oil changes since the car was originally purchased but no other maintenance. The other Ford dealership in the area wanted $650 +$75 per plug and then wanted to clean the Mass Air flow Censor and a bunch of other stuff outside the normal tune up. Thanks for you help!

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the place reputable the coil change should be only parts, since the coils are already off, if your getting plugs done. I don't believe in fuel system cleaning only fuel filters every 15k and one can of seafoam every 5k.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd save the $150 on the fuel system clean and put it towards a tranny flush. That's recommended at the 50-60000 mi interval. Not knowing if it was done previously, throw the money there. Fuel system can be taken care of with a fresh fuel filter and some Lucas/Seafoam/RXP. MAF sensor is a quick 7 buck fix, I can of CRC MAF Cleaner and 2 screws, 5 min job.
As far as the plugs are concerned, probably the best money spent. The plugs are about $12, but they like to break off because they are a stupid ass 2piece design from factory. Best to have a qualified service tech taking care of this rather than DYI.
Coil is about $40 from a parts store, so 75 beans installed sounds fair. However, the coil pack is already off from replacing the plug, so they might be taking you here. FYI...if the need ever arises, you can get an 8 pack of coils online in the neighborhood of $120.
Hope that gives you some insight of how to spend your dinero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bama

Reaction score
Thanks! That really helps. Its also nice to know that dealer #2 with the $650 tune up was royally trying to screw me. I wish I could remember all the stuff they wanted to do in addition to the tune up. I did add it up and the additional work was like $600. :flamingdevil: Won't be going there. I love my new truck, so it does suck to have it start missing and sputtering two weeks after I got it. I'll use my money on a tranny flush.