Tune-up info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af mezkin

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
It's been awhile since I have posted, hope everyone is in good spirits. I'm in need of some advice concerning my Expy, I recently went over 100K, I have started to notice some hesitation when I accelerate. I think I'm in need of a tune-up.
My question is; who has done a tune-up on there Expy and what parts where replaced and what brands where used?
I have a 03, 4x2, 4.6L Expy; I'm thinking plugs, COPs, fuel filter. I know I'm missing more parts, feel free to fill me in on what I need to replace. Any and all info will be appreciated.

AF

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Friend,

Just had a tune-up done on my 06 Limited. I just purchased the truck in March with 73,000 and as a new owner and as a precautionary attempt; I decided to get a tune up done even though FORD recommends the spark plugs and other tune-up items to be replaced at 100K.

BE FOREWARNED - the plugs on these trucks are a nightmare to replace. They have a faulty engine design where carbon builds between the spark plugs and the head and they become stuck. They break inside the head when attempting to remove them. If you go to a FORD service center, they will tell you that they will attempt to remove the spark plugs; however if they break (and from what I've seen from other owners - they will), the heads will need to be removed; turning a simple and rather inexpensive tune-up into a $3,000 job.

Fortunately, I have a family friend who owns his own shop and is an excellent mechanic - he did his absolutely best to NOT remove the heads. The result was the purchase of 2 expensive specialty tools (the first one broke), and 5 days of downtime and non-stop work on the truck removing just the spark plugs!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I was extremely frustrated with the scenario. This was by far the most expensive and time-consuming tune-up I've ever done to any of my past vehicles. Seems like several owners across several of FORD's line-up from 2003-2007 I believe are experiencing the same problems as they approach the 100K mile mark.

I've always owned Japanese vehicles in the past and this was my first entry into an American vehicle; and sadly, this was a disappointing experience.

In any case, be aware of this problem and best of luck with the tune-up!

Rod

Last edited:

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you replace the spark plugs definitely make sure to use a good anti-sieze lubricant on the spark plug threads. Make sure to properly torque the spark plugs tight enough. If the plugs become slightly loose then two things can happen- 1 carbon can get into the threads and sieze the plugs into the heads, or 2 the plugs get looser and eventually blow out of the engine and destroying the threads. Using anti-sieze is your best defense against carbon siezing the threads, and properly torquing will prevent a spark plug from blowing out.

I bet the factory had a time period during assembly when they didn't use anti-sieze and it caused all the problems we're having now.

ALSO: for your tune up ideas, don't forget to clean your MAF sensor, and run a lot of Techroline through your gas tank to clean the fuel injectors.

I have a home made fuel rail pressurization kit that pressure cleans the fuel injectors. I used a R-12 freon can "tap", and a fuel pressure test kit hose. Then the parts stores sell me a pressurized can of professional injector cleaner. I uplug the fuel pump, connect my pressurized can of cleaner to the fuel rail, and start the truck. It runs for about 5-10 minutes until the can runs out of cleaner, and then the truck stalls and quits running. I just disconnect my cleaner kit, plug in the fuel pump, and the truck starts and runs normal again using the fuel pump. I do this every few months and it keeps the injectors clean as new.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you choose to do the seafoam treatment, I suggest using the PCV port and stepping down the hose size to a very small one. There's so much oil sucked into the intake through the PCV port that it should be cleaned off using the same port. Just use a small hose so it doesn't kill your engine.

I did that one time and used the tip from a water mist maker, so it would atomize the sea foam before going into the engine.

OP
OP
A

af mezkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I have one question; does my 03 4.6L have a PCV? I have not found anywhere that sells a PCV for my Expy, this looking up parts by specific vehicle. If I do have one where is it located? Thanks in advace...

AF

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has the 5.4 liter so I can't help, I don't know where it's located or the part #. I don't know of any engine that does not have a PCV valve. On mine it's located on top of the right valve cover and it has a steel pipe wrapped around it, the steel pipe has antifreeze in it. Apparently during the designing and testing phase of the truck, Ford had problems with the PCV valve freezing up in extreme cold weather so they use engine coolant to keep it from freezing.

Yours might have the same setup.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd recommend you replace the air filter, too. Have you thrown any codes? If it is hesitating I would expect a code to show up sooner or later. Chances are it will say its a misfire in one of the cylinders. If that is the case, it is usually the COP assembly; they tend to go out after 100K. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701