Tuner questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a tuner on their Expedition?I have a 2003 with a 5.4 4 wheel drive EB

I looked at a Superchips 1845 for $369... and a Edge 85350 programmer for $404

Do they really help? I am mainly looking for comfort for towing(HP/TQ and shift points) and for solo driving/fuel mileage increase. Do they really work?

I like the Superchips, cause when I decide to get a new truck whether it be a diesel or gas and newer than I have it can be used in it. Just wondering who has one and what can be expected? Thank you!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No .... you'll see no improvement in gas mileage. A friend gave me a Superchip 1845 when he sold his vehicle. I went ahead and put it in my Expy and didn't notice any fuel mileage improvement. If anything, maybe a slight decrease in mileage. I think the only thing I notice is the top end speed governor is removed. It does shift a little differently, it seems to let the motor rev a little higher before shifting to the next gear. So it feels like there's a little more pull from the motor, but it's actually just more spaced out shifting. But overall it didn't really do anything for the Expy. No mileage increase, and maybe even a little decrease because of the winding up between shifts. Bottom line, I wouldn't go out and spend money on one, unless I had a turbo on my vehicle. Then the reprogramming of the turbo would be very noticeable.

-Mike

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Canned tunes will not be as good as picking a tuner.

You can tell your tuner your goals and they will do there best to get you there.

I suggest calling 5star tuning. I have used them for tuning on several of my vehicles.

I have not tried other tuners so I can't comment on them.

Honestly look into replacing the "y" pipe on your truck and look at the intake mods.

JMHO

CJ