New to me 04 NXB --questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

efbryan

Reaction score
Posted in new member forum but questions are probably more appropriate here:

Found a relatively low mileage (130K) '04 Exp NXB to replace my '00 Nav (229K) as a tow vehicle for my utility trailer and RV. Does seem to have a slow coolant leak (I'm guessing the intake manifold or gasket) that I'll have to deal with.. Few questions--

1. Should I get air assist shocks to allow adjustment when towing? If so, recommendations?
2. I usually go thru all fluids but I'm confused about limited slip differential--Oil weight spec seems to have changed. There used to be special limited slip oils now it looks like you use an additive? If I test and find the limited slip is shot, I'm tempted to not worry about it.
3. Any other general recommendations, must check items, or mods given my intended use for this year/model?

Thanks!

Eric

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread has some good info.

I have no help on the air shocks. Sounds like a good idea though.

Rear diff will be 75w-140 gear oil with a 4oz bottle of friction modifier for the limited slip if equipped.

I'd go through suspension carefully to make sure the ball joints, bushings etc are all in good shape. And of course get it scanned. If you have not purchased it yet, paying a mechanic to go through it can be hugely beneficial. You simply cannot look underneath as well on your back compared to having it on a lift in my experience. Certainly worth the 1hr of labor I have paid for it a couple times over the years.