Turbo leaking oil/bearing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to be posting a flurry lately. Truck has been a little high maintenance as of late. Had it in the shop here for a trans fluid change. Shop noticed and pointed out to me an obvious oil leak at drivers side turbo. They are hearing bearing noise from it as well. I’ve heard a noise for a little while now but never thought anything of it. Sounds a bit like rattling wax paper. Hard to describe. Anyway, making phone calls right now to get the turbo replaced and seals redone under my extended warranty which expires in 3000 miles. Coolant is also leaking at one of the junk jiffy tite connectors on the same turbo so that will be fixed at the same time. In the past two days, truck has also gone into idle limp mode three times due to the known throttle body electronic issue posted here. So, I’ll think we are going to have it all done at the same time, under warranty and be done with it until next time. I only have 116,000 miles on this truck 90% hwy...and yes I’ve towed a 5,000 lb trailer 13,000 miles this year, but I sure hope I don’t have a ton of this stuff post warranty expiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to be posting a flurry lately. Truck has been a little high maintenance as of late. Had it in the shop here for a trans fluid change. Shop noticed and pointed out to me an obvious oil leak at drivers side turbo. They are hearing bearing noise from it as well. I’ve heard a noise for a little while now but never thought anything of it. Sounds a bit like rattling wax paper. Hard to describe. Anyway, making phone calls right now to get the turbo replaced and seals redone under my extended warranty which expires in 3000 miles. Coolant is also leaking at one of the junk jiffy tite connectors on the same turbo so that will be fixed at the same time. In the past two days, truck has also gone into idle limp mode three times due to the known throttle body electronic issue posted here. So, I’ll think we are going to have it all done at the same time, under warranty and be done with it until next time. I only have 116,000 miles on this truck 90% hwy...and yes I’ve towed a 5,000 lb trailer 13,000 miles this year, but I sure hope I don’t have a ton of this stuff post warranty expiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It all was because you posted that your truck was trouble free......lol.

"107,000 miles and zero problems"

Mine has 62k and my front blower mower just went out, small beans compared to your fixes though......at least the blower motor I can do myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing you got the extended warranty, those turbos are pricey. Let us know how the repairs go.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've not seen the schematics for the BW turbos but many do not employ "bearings" but use a small sealing ring shaped like a piston ring......and the turbo shaft floats in an oil bearing.

Makes sense...the 38mm turbo on my bike spins at over 200K RPM..........

jeff