Unhappy with discount tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I purchased a set of BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires the other day. Cost me a pretty penny. The guy added the TPMS rebuild kit to the bill. I didnt even as for this but I was going to ask to have it added anyway. They install the tires and all is good for a couple days.

Yesterday I check tire psi and they all read approximately 37 psi. Today I get into car and it says low tire pressure. I get out to look and they all look decent so I didnt think much of it. I drive it for around 20 miles and then it says very low tire pressure. Then I get my gauge out and check tires. They are read fine but the front passenger tire. It reads at 23 psi.

I take the expedition to a friend of mine that owns a shop. He checks the tire and says, the valve core is junk. So I call up discount tire and ask if they install new valve cores when doing the TPMS rebuild. I told him that I was just in there and had tires installed and paid for the rebuild kit. I then told him that today my tire was low on air and am being told that the valve core is junk. He then tells me that it doesnt sound right. He said that it should be new and also have new nuts threaded onto the valve stems. I then told him that they have original nuts also. He acted like he didnt believe me.

So now I have to drive back to discount tire to get this resolved. I live an hour away. My issue is this...

1. I as charged for a rebuild kit that I obviously didnt get.
2. The valve core was either damaged before or after the new tire was installed. Either the core was corroded and they damaged it taking it out to install tire or they damaged it when reinstalling the valve core. The core looks original as well.

So I am expecting them to tell me that it was corroded previously and that is why it couldnt come out. Therefore I will need to pay for a new sensor. I was told by my friend that it will be difficult to get that core out of the stem. If it was corroded before, why didnt they inform me that it was corroded and had trouble getting it out and back in?

I should have just went to Walmart. I expect foolishness from there.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the TPMS in the Expedition is not mounted on the valve stem. It's a "band unit" that wraps around the rim.

If this is the case, the tire dealer should just have replaced the valve stems without and issues.

But as I already stated I could be wrong.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the TPMS in the Expedition is not mounted on the valve stem. It's a "band unit" that wraps around the rim.

If this is the case, the tire dealer should just have replaced the valve stems without and issues.

But as I already stated I could be wrong.

It depends on the year. I'm not sure on the specific years but originally ford had them on the band and then they switched to the metal stems and then they switched again to rubber stems with the sensors attached. The newest design seems to be the industry standard now as ford, dodge, and gm are all mounting them in that way.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know on mine that the TPMS are on the stem. I had to take them off and put them on the new wheels I got and had no problems with them. I didn't even rebuild them. Good luck with getting the problem solved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know on mine that the TPMS are on the stem. I had to take them off and put them on the new wheels I got and had no problems with them. I didn't even rebuild them. Good luck with getting the problem solved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

this is the same for me...and i had my originals installed in my 24's...no probs

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a pic that I took of the front passenger tire. It is a metal (aluminum) stem. You can see the valve core is bent. I have no idea what will happen about this issue. I need to go there at 2pm today to get this resolved. They better make things right.

You can see air bubbles coming out around the base of the stem where it contacts the rim. My friend sprayed some soap or some solution that he had to see where all it was coming from. This thing was definitely not taken out.

Attachments

• valve stem.jpg
    valve stem.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,912
Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do anything you have to shy of getting the cops called. If the popo gets involved, they won't do anything for you. Don't be affraid to call and ***** at corprate either.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to work at a tire shop.
They should be able to tell just by looking at them that those stems have not been changed.

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I just wanted to say that I took the car in today to get the tires looked at. I asked how they go about taking the tire off if the valve core is seized into the stem. He said that they would drill a hole in tire to remove air and then remove tire. I said, well if it was seized then someone should have noted in paper work and told me when I had them put on the other day. He said well yeah..

They got truck in and 5 minutes later came back and told me that he was refunding me some money. They refunded me the rebuild kit and labor. It came out to being around $90. During the job they found a rear sensor that was seized up. They tried to get it apart but ended up breaking sensor. They replaced the sensor free of charge.

So I think they did right. I told him that I appreciated them making it right. I said that many people could try to weezle themselves out of a job and blame it on someone else. So all is good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition