Unique Head Gasket Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

K_Vaughan

Reaction score
February 2016 update - it's still running!

The 2" washer with a 1/4" hole that replaced the thermostat is working great at keeping the engine from overheating, while still restricting flow enough for the defrost to work.

The sealant I used (Bar's Leaks Engine Repair - 2 Part Formula) for the engine oil (took two doses) has significantly reduced the amount of coolant that is getting into the oil, which is still being changed every 2,000 miles.

The downside is that I'm still using about three bottles a month of coolant in addition to two bottles of K-Seal per month, totaling about $60/month to keep this thing going. That being said, I'm OK with this. Come summer time I'll just run straight water, which will save about $30/month.

It's at the point now where I just need to keep the radiator full (I always keep a full jug of coolant in my car, just in case), and I'm always a bottle of K-Seal away from getting the engine light (indicating spark plug misfire from the coolant getting into the piston chamber) to turn off.

I'm very glad for this to still be running, this is such a fun vehicle. The head gasket issue started back in July, so I'm at about 6 months with a blown head gasket, not too shabby.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stopped my engine before the coolant mix happened. External leak on right rear block coolant and oil coming out. Half the engine is apart till spring since it got cold and my hours at work are in the lower 60s per week. Your engine is going to look interesting when it goes boom from the coolant in the oil breaking it down. Good luck op

OP
OP
K

K_Vaughan

Reaction score
Update

The Expedition started misfiring so badly that the whole car was shaking when I drove it. I ended up selling it about a month ago to a guy that's going to put a new engine in it. I was sad to see it go, but I'm glad that someone will still be able to have fun with it.