USB Charger Causing Service TPMS Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
Took the 2007 Expo to the dealer today for a tire rotation. I occasionally have the blinking TPMS light come on about servicing it, nothing to do with a tire being low. Service department said that a TPMS warning light can be triggered by a USB car charger (I’m assuming the amount of current the charger draws once plugged in). The charger I have is only plug in and not Bluetooth or wireless.

Besides the obvious and getting a different charger, has anyone dealt with this issue before and have a different solution?

I also wanted to post this to prevent dealers/shops from ripping someone off by saying a new TPMS sensor is needed.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had he same problem. My research told me it occurs most often with the cheaper adapters. It has something to do with the adapter giving off a signal that interferes with the TPMS signal from the tires. A new adapter solved it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Most if not all electronic devices produce some RFI (radio frequency interference), unless designed not to with shielding or other
Took the 2007 Expo to the dealer today for a tire rotation. I occasionally have the blinking TPMS light come on about servicing it, nothing to do with a tire being low. Service department said that a TPMS warning light can be triggered by a USB car charger (I’m assuming the amount of current the charger draws once plugged in). The charger I have is only plug in and not Bluetooth or wireless.

Besides the obvious and getting a different charger, has anyone dealt with this issue before and have a different solution?

I also wanted to post this to prevent dealers/shops from ripping someone off by saying a new TPMS sensor is needed.
Common problem. The TPMS system communicates via radio signals. Cheap car chargers emit RFI (radio frequency interference) radio signals that … interfere … with the TPMS radio communication. Better units have shielding or other RFI suppression incorporated.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How was the install process? Was it simple plug and play or did you have to modify and plastic to make the new socket fit? Also, do you have a picture?

Simple install. Just pop out the trim panel and unscrew the factory socket. The USB socket just pops in and has a screw on nut on the back to secure it.

I opted to just wire it with spade terminals and keep the OE connector intact, but you could of course cut it off splice, solder, and heatshrink if you prefer.

photo-3.jpg

Original installed. It died about 3.5 years in and I replaced it with the updated version of the same plug. The only visual difference on the one in now is the plugs are oriented vertically.

photo-4.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Simple install. Just pop out the trim panel and unscrew the factory socket. The USB socket just pops in and has a screw on nut on the back to secure it.

I opted to just wire it with spade terminals and keep the OE connector intact, but you could of course cut it off splice, solder, and heatshrink if you prefer.

Thank you for the idea. Went ahead and made the change, and I'm liking it so far!

76B040C7-4A54-4479-BC33-06C0B1200DBA.jpeg

race4beer

Reaction score
Old thread but wanted to stop by and say thank you. My rear TPMS sensors (both at the same time) have been kicking out at 85 MPH and coming back online around 30. If I stay under 80 they never show a fault. Going to try a new charger and see if that fixes it.