Used the 14 Expedition for something besides a day trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My oldest son finally bought a house. They started moving Friday evening and we took the Expedition over Saturday and Sunday to help move stuff he didn't want to chance with the movers.

On Saturday it was just bags/boxes of dishes, glasses, wine, liquor, and paintings/art work. Laid the seats down, loaded it up from the back and the side/rear doors and headed to the house.

He wanted to know if we could unload it out front vs. the back as the house has a full basement but the back entrance is on the basement level so everything would have to be carried up the stairs.

There is no front driveway to the house, just a long sidewalk with a ditch along the road. I stopped, put it in AWD and slowly backed into the ditch at an angle. The back up sensors/alarms started going off so I stopped and got out to look it over because I didn't want to jam the bummer/exhaust into the dirt/grass. Looked good so I finished backing up through the still dew wet grass as close to the front door as I could get. Not a single tire spin backing through the ditch on the way in or coming back out onto the paved road when finished unloading.

Got another load and headed back but the grass was dry by then. No issues.

On Sunday morning I went up to the condo to help him take that old table apart. He was afraid of the movers losing the old washers and square nuts used to hold the three sets of table legs to the bottom of the table. The legs had to come off to get it through the doors (condo and the house). The table, buffet and sideboard is approaching 135 to 140 years old according to mom. All black walnut wood with brass fixtures/locks on the bottom of the table top where the sliding stuff is at to allow the leaves to be added/removed as needed.

Then we added lots of lead stuff with the tools that use the lead stuff in front of and behind the table top and legs. When I shut the tailgate and walked around to the door I noticed the rear tires were squatted down more than I'd ever seen them. It was about 10 miles to the new house so we got in and drove there. Once again, even with the additional weight, the big Expedition went into and out of the ditch with no problems. Got it unloaded and everything carried into the house and then we put the legs back on the table and flipped it over.

When I got home I checked the tires. I wondered why I didn't see a TPMS light but found the rear tires were at 34 psi and the fronts at 32 psi. Just squatted down due to the lead I guess.

All those cans/cases don't seem all that heavy carrying them one or two at a time but add up when all stacked up in the back.