using oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition and everytime i get the oil changed(evry 3000 miles) it is showing a quirt low and this time It didn't even read on the stick. It's not leaking oil anywhere so why would it be burning this much oil? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What oil viscosity are you using?

My only guess is that if you are using too thin of an oil, it could be getting through the seals and burned off that way.

OR

Your seals are going bad, allowing oil to get into the combustion chamber and burn off that way as well.

But you've got a 1998 and I don't think your seals should be going bad already, but what do I know.

Are you sure there are no leaks around the oil pan or the oil filter at all?

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more knowledge, as I don't know where else you could be losing this oil other than what I mentioned above.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are losing oil, there are only a few possibilities:

1) Engine Leak: Check all over the engine. Certain model years had a nasty habit of leaking from the rear passenger side head. There is a new head gasket that Ford uses to correct this problem.

Look at oil filter, drain plug, front/rear main seals, etc.

Note: I often degunk/steam clean my engine so I can see issues like leaks happening. All too often I look at engines, and they are simply a MESS, so much so that an oil leak would simply go unnoticed.

2) Burning: Rings may be bad, but you can check compression to determine this. Also, if your valves are not seating well, this could happen, but again, a compression test will determine this.

Also, you will see blue smoke from the exhuast if you burn enough, and smelling real bad as well.

3) Leak into coolant system: Another type of head gasket leak can have oil going into the coolant system. Usually you can see this as an oil residue in your expansion tank. You can also have coolant in your oil system if this happens, and this would be seen as a milky substance in the oil you drain.

If what you are telling us is: No leaks have been found, no milky substance in the oil you have drained, etc. then I would get a compression tester and check out those rings/valves.

OP
OP
G

I have a 99 and the oil was low on my last oil change (about a quart or so). I do have a small leak (few drops of oil on the garage floor) that the mechanic told me is coming from the rear engine seal. Didn't seem like enough was leaking on the floor to be a quart down? problem is that the mechanic said the only way to fix my leak is to replace the gasket and you have to either pull the engine or pull the transmission to do it$$$$$. I'll live with the leak for now and put cardboard on the floor to catch the oil.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just remember, in the garage, the motor is not running, splashing around the crankcase, and it is definitely not under pressure.

When you are driving around, you are probably losing more!!!

Don't pull the engine..drop the tranny. I have not done this, but I don't think the rear main seal is hard o replace by itself.

OK kidtriton, take it from here......

OP
OP
G

If your PCV valve is stuck it will suck oil into the intake manifold and you will burn it one drop at a time without noticing it in the exhaust. Check your valve or replace it. I tis cheap and easy to replace.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A leaky rear main seal is a sign of main bearing wear. Hows your oil pressure? I think you do need to pull the transmission to change that seal, at least on older Ford V8s.

It could be time to trade her in.

Have you seen that new Nissan Armada? Most of the same features of the new EXPY, but larger and significanly more powerful.

mizzouchief74:

Try using a synthetic oil like Castol Systec 5W-50. It has a much higher flash point than conventional oils. You may see a significant reduction in oil consumption if your cause is worn oil rings.

If it's valve seals, you typically see a flash of blue smoke out the ass end at start up. If it's rings, there may be no visible sign of burning oil until they get really worn.

I think all Fords use oil. My 03 with 12K miles burns 1/4 to 1/2 qt between changes. My POS Taurus used to burn 1 qt between changes. It did that since we bought it too. DAMN FORD!:mad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

I thought about having the rear gasket changed, but only if Ford has a 1 piece gasket design I can replace it with. If I have to replace it with the current 2 piece gasket, it will probably still leak. It's not losing enough oil right now to be too concerned. The engine only has 70k on it right now. It just kind of sucks it already is leaking oil. My dad has a 94 suburban with a 260k and it doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil..............As for the Armada, great looking truck, but I don't feel like shelling out 40k plus for a new car. Thanks for the advice.

ET2 Burris

Reaction score
If you are losing oil, there are only a few possibilities:

1) Engine Leak: Check all over the engine. Certain model years had a nasty habit of leaking from the rear passenger side head. There is a new head gasket that Ford uses to correct this problem.

Look at oil filter, drain plug, front/rear main seals, etc.

Note: I often degunk/steam clean my engine so I can see issues like leaks happening. All too often I look at engines, and they are simply a MESS, so much so that an oil leak would simply go unnoticed.

2) Burning: Rings may be bad, but you can check compression to determine this. Also, if your valves are not seating well, this could happen, but again, a compression test will determine this.

Also, you will see blue smoke from the exhuast if you burn enough, and smelling real bad as well.

3) Leak into coolant system: Another type of head gasket leak can have oil going into the coolant system. Usually you can see this as an oil residue in your expansion tank. You can also have coolant in your oil system if this happens, and this would be seen as a milky substance in the oil you drain.

If what you are telling us is: No leaks have been found, no milky substance in the oil you have drained, etc. then I would get a compression tester and check out those rings/valves.

I have a question, cause I have it worse then them.
lets put it this way changed oil went to Outer Banks, put 1/2 qrt back in.
Got back put qrt in.

So the head gasket is it a recall typ or do they know its a problem?

wink

Reaction score
Driving at moderate speed for the first 50 miles or so, also helps accomplish fast seal build-up. Use a heavy foot on the accelerator immediately after treatment, and the fast-moving pistons pump much of the oil and sealer out the tail pipe. hope that this may add as information on how to do the ford expedition repair.

Last edited: