Usually how long does the vehicle take to build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries. For those who live on the left coast and don't realize it: All Destination charges on all vehicles of a given model have to be equal, regardless of distance or actual cost, by law (since sometime in the 70's or 80's). If you look at the sticker of a given year for a given model Expedition in a Louisville, KY, dealership, within site of the Assembly Plant and compare it to yours on the left coast, the destination charge will be identical. Same for all of the lower 48. It goes back to a bunch of franchise lawsuits caused by a bunch of Detroit Dealers that were selling cars with low destination charges to people in vacation destinations like FL, TX, AZ, etc. and paying college students to drive them and deliver them while on breaks and flying back, at lower cost than the destination costs to rail/convoy the vehicles.

This is also why, when supplies get tight, the states that are the furthest from the Assembly Plants, with the highest actual shipping costs are starved for new vehicles. The car companies are incentivized to sell out production to the closest dealers.

Of course, crazy or not...I still by my new vehicles from Detroit area dealers even though I live in NC. They tend to be way more knowledgeable about the vehicles and I get Company pricing, so I pay the same regardless.

Aren’t new vehicles one of the only products where the manufacturer charges the customer to ship the product to the manufacturers’ authorized sales outlets?

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aren’t new vehicles one of the only products where the manufacturer charges the customer to ship the product to the manufacturers’ authorized sales outlets?
Perhaps; but, trust me, if you see anything in the automotive scene that you believe to be stupid, unusual, tragic or harmful....It is due to some form of government regulation and or litigation. I could write a series of books....but, I would have to publish from a country that doesn't extradite.....So much stupidity, so much money.

Megswdw

Reaction score
So, did you get your expedition yet @SunnySunshine ? Our expedition started production on March 5 and was completed on March 24, the same as yours. We had gotten a message that it was delayed for a part. But, ours still says that it hasn't shipped. We are in Nebraska. I am ready to drive to KY to pick it up myself!

OP
OP
SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We finally got it! I posted a thread here:

@Megswdw @SyndicateZ

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, did you get your expedition yet @SunnySunshine ? Our expedition started production on March 5 and was completed on March 24, the same as yours. We had gotten a message that it was delayed for a part. But, ours still says that it hasn't shipped. We are in Nebraska. I am ready to drive to KY to pick it up myself!
It is likely waiting for parts or a rail car. The likely ship path would be KTP to Kansas City, where Ford has a large rail head. Likely convoy out of KCAP to your location in Nebraska. If everything was "normal" you would have had it by now. The likely issue is rail car availability. Good luck!

TonyR0206

Reaction score
This is exciting! Our new Expedition is in production, but how long does it usually take? My father and I are getting a bit inpatient. :rotflmao:

View attachment 80485
I ordered an F-150 Raptor on April 2, 2022. It took so long to be built, they had to turn it into a 2023 and Ford upped the MSRP $4000 with no changes or improvements at all from a '22 to the '23. It arrived in late March of 2023. So, it took almost a year. I got impatient and bought an Expedition and didn't take the Raptor when it finally got to the dealership.

OP
OP
SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered an F-150 Raptor on April 2, 2022. It took so long to be built, they had to turn it into a 2023 and Ford upped the MSRP $4000 with no changes or improvements at all from a '22 to the '23. It arrived in late March of 2023. So, it took almost a year. I got impatient and bought an Expedition and didn't take the Raptor when it finally got to the dealership.
At least you'll be saving some fuel over that Raptor. They really should make a Raptor version of the Expedition.