Vapor smell from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OSURX92

Reaction score
Strong exhaust/gas mix odor coming from engine bay. New stainless steel studs replaced for manifolds. New exhaust, new spark plugs, new fuel injectors and new charcoal canister. Smell has not abated. Read a forum about an Excursion that had a broken vacuum nipple connection and when replaced the smell was gone. The canister pic showed it was mounted near passenger shock tower but Expedition does not have same as Excursion. Have spent all kinds of cash trying to resolve and due to non-mechanical background am tired of being the sugar daddy for local Ford garage. I like my Expedition but lately I find myself daydreaming of finding 3 sticks of dynamite to shove up her gas-hole and light! Please help!!!!!!!!!

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the rocker panels on your truck? Sometimes some smell can get in the cabin if they are completely killed by rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck3

Reaction score
I'm going with vacuum line associated with the charcoal canister. I chased an EVAP code indicating a leak on a previous Explorer for no kidding......6 months. Turned out to be the canister solenoid. Reason it will not throw a code right away is the canister needs to get really full of crap without the purge solenoid working before it throws a code.
Nearing the end of my search, I found the exact same smell you describe. It would change with outside temp and humidity, so it made for a difficult find.
Vacuum smoke test will find any leaks in the system. Mine was found in about 2 minutes of the smoke machine being turned on and sure as the sun shines, it was the canister purge solenoid.
Hope this helps.