vibrations or shudder at 45MPH or higher with light throttle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NTX2008XPY

Reaction score
I'm new to the group but have used it to search many topics. Thought I would share a solution for a vibration or shudder i was experiencing when i would give light throttle while traveling above 45 MPH. I originally thought it was a slipping TC but it had no other signs of slipping in other RPM ranges and a tranny shop checked it and said it wasn't throwing any codes. Thought it might be misfiring but OBDII reading showed no misfires. Thought it may be out of balance tires but no vibration if i coasted at those speeds. Change Tranny fluid and filter, added LUBE GUARD shudder fluid and still no difference. Changed rear difff fluid, no change. Checked U joints and they were still good. Turns out it was the right rear axle. The upper CV joint had started coming apart internally. There was evidence of oil/grease leaking around the upper CV case/joint.
Finally took it to a shop by the house they confirmed that it was failing and replaced the axle. Happy to report smooth sailing at all speeds now.
Some of the signs to be aware of:
Intermittent clunk when going from Drive to Reverse.
Intermittent squeaking when rolling a lower speeds.
Coming off highway and coast from 60 MPH to 40MPH, slightly press the gas and it felt like it was in the wrong gear, like a shudder.
I hope this helps someone else that may be chasing the same issue.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The same symptoms on other vehicles could be a coil pack on the way out. Mine did that before the pack goes into a hard fail and miss fire then the check engine light comes on. Could also be water down in the spark plug well(s) from washing or a coolant leak. Or could be a clogged injector sometimes the problem will clear up with a very heavy dose of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. Glad yours was something else and repaired.

the hogg

Reaction score
Had same problem with my 2012...I ended up changing spark plugs and coil packs...fixed problem and runs great now...I don't know if it was the plugs or coil packs that fixed it...I found the coil packs on amazon for under $80.00 for all 8. Good luck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My excursion had a big problem with water in the plug wells but IDK if the 5.4 has that same issue since I haven't has this truck long. I'm wondering if washing the engine will get water in the holes.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My excursion had a big problem with water in the plug wells but IDK if the 5.4 has that same issue since I haven't has this truck long. I'm wondering if washing the engine will get water in the holes.
It will, don't get the top of the engine wet.