Water leak at the firewall/back of the motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spaznaut

Reaction score
So I bought a '99 EB 5.4 4x4 for 900.00. Its in great shape except for the antifreeze leak near the fire wall. I've got the intake pulled atm. Soooo much fun (sarcasm). I found one semi bad coil pack but not sure on the water leak. The intake gasket looked good and couldn't see anything on the hoses and metal tubes back there. The 'L' pipe from the intake did mess up trying to get the hose loose from it so I'm hoping it was the culprit. Gonna replace both metal pipes and the rubber hoses back there. Is there anything else I need to replace while I'm at it or check?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the plastic intake itself, along with any small hoses along intake. Definitely change any coils that got wet with only motorcraft brand. Their available as a set online, Rock Auto sells individually I think. The plastic gets weak after 19 years, don't do that tough job twice!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

CableDawg

Reaction score
So I bought a '99 EB 5.4 4x4 for 900.00. Its in great shape except for the antifreeze leak near the fire wall. I've got the intake pulled atm. Soooo much fun (sarcasm). I found one semi bad coil pack but not sure on the water leak. The intake gasket looked good and couldn't see anything on the hoses and metal tubes back there. The 'L' pipe from the intake did mess up trying to get the hose loose from it so I'm hoping it was the culprit. Gonna replace both metal pipes and the rubber hoses back there. Is there anything else I need to replace while I'm at it or check?

Have you checked the hoses for the heater core to the left of the intake? If any of those rot you will shoot some antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk