Weird leak, please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ambermac39

Reaction score
Hey guys,

we’ve had a loss of coolant with no visible leak for a while now and couldn’t figure it out. After replacing several hoses the issue persists. Finally found the spot, just can’t figure out what the parts in the engine are called or where to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. It’s in between a hose and the engine. Thinking maybe it’s a seal but not sure. I’ll attach a couple pics so you can see where the fluid is. Any info or ideas are appreciated. Thanks so much.

EE7550FE-69BE-470B-8A72-79B6EA2E0C15.jpeg

81813E1A-DA59-442E-B882-EF8370A67A7A.jpeg

A09D66F1-BD66-4AD0-BEC2-2A50C1140C35.jpeg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's probably just the cross-over gasket there between the aluminum cross-over and the plastic intake manifold. Unfortunately you have to pull the intake off to replace the gasket because the retention bolts are accessed from the underside.

Here's a good from FordTech explaining the issue ...

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my old Avalanche, and it was just like Hamfisted said -- there was a gasket leak and the coolant was going out via the exhaust, which is why I could find no evidence of a leak. I had to refill the coolant every 2-3 weeks, depending on mileage driven.

bsutton1705

Reaction score
I just had to replace my intake for this same issue about 3 months ago. Its a crappy design.

Williamb97

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem with 2015 Expedition. It has been to the dealership several times for the random cooling fluid lead. They have replaced several hoses and the water pump. It is in the shop at the moment for that and a blacked-out screen and an intermittent rearview camera.