Well, Now I know Why Control Arm Hits Coil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of supension videos lately as I struggle for a little more lift while perusing the King/ICON/Rough Country choices. I wanted to learn the good and the bad.
Some of the below may be a bit pedestrian for you folks with more suspension knowledge, but I figured the more I know, the better.
YMMV

Specs for fronts Bilstein height adjustables compression/extension lengths:
Expy Bilstein 5100 : 16.10 / 20.95 (MAx Lift on G4s is 1.6 inch)
F150 Bilstein 5100 : 16.91 / 22.46 (Max Lift on G4s is 2-3* inches)

What I did learn was the reason my control arms touch the coil is due to the Bilstein F150 5100 shocks allow for more downward droop due to them being 1.50 inches longer.
I can also see where they gain .81 of an inch in lift (though I only gained .4 of an inch over the Expy shocks) and I suspect this may limit upward travel.

Now, I do not treat my Expedition like a Ford Raptor, and while I have lifted a front wheel off-roading I never felt it to be any problem.
New upper control arms would alleviate this, and allow for even more droop. However...

1) I do not know at what point the droop will be too much for the CV/Axle and damage canl occur. Currently, I feel the 'control arm touching coil' reduces the chances of that.
2) I do not know what damage could occur if I hit a bump or obstacle so hard, my suspension bottoms out.
3) I am not sure what "hard stops" the Gen4 suspension components have in the first place. I believe only the shock bodies are holding the suspension from over extension (no bump stops).
4) I have a lot more to learn.

Sources for recent knowledge:

*Not my experience--only got 2 inches of lift*

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I have a Timberline and I am guessing the factory struts are then only thing they changed to give it the 1" higher lift.
I doubt they would change the arms and such just for 1". I like the idea of new shocks/springs to get the height and they are probably better than factory. My big question is what is the chart curve where you extend the angle of the joints vs lifespan. Does 1" do nothing but 2" greatly stress the joints, etc. I would like to put 35"s on my Timberline. I hope with the Ford making the Timberline it shows these off road companies that there are serious Expedition off roaders and they start to make some great kits for them. I know the F150 aftermarket parts are close but would like to see some exact kits for lifts, etc.

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah--Ford does everything on the cheap and I think the Timberline is no different. I mean the tires are thinner and only .5 of an inch taller than the outgoing FX4.

I think 2.25 inches is very fine (ICON), and Bilsteins are safe at 1.6 inches of lift and then you will need UCAs (though again--may overextend). The CV angels are not extreme, and Joshua at Kingdom Overland has been running 2.25 lift and 35s for a long time w/o a 4 low, and then he went to 37s and his transmission kaboomed at 85,000 miles when he tried to drain it (which may of had soemthing to do with it? IDK).

He has never had a problem with axles or CVs, though was going to heavier duy ones and gears and lockers as an upgrade--and he is loaded to the gills with no lockers or low gear, etc...

I want 3 inches all around, but concerned at being on the edge of wheel travel and CV hatred.

But with 2 inches lift, and minor trimmig I fit 34.3s x 11.77s (295/70-18s) no problems with a .25 inch spacer. There is some minor rubbing in the rear but I have not stuffed them yet. Moving to a .5 inch spacer and longer studs and then maybe see. I need to get it on a lift and with a jack go to full stuff to see. Feel free to look at all my past threads.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah--Ford does everything on the cheap and I think the Timberline is no different. I mean the tires are thinner and only .5 of an inch taller than the outgoing FX4.

I think 2.25 inches is very fine (ICON), and Bilsteins are safe at 1.6 inches of lift and then you will need UCAs (though again--may overextend). The CV angels are not extreme, and Joshua at Kingdom Overland has been running 2.25 lift and 35s for a long time w/o a 4 low, and then he went to 37s and his transmission kaboomed at 85,000 miles when he tried to drain it (which may of had soemthing to do with it? IDK).

He has never had a problem with axles or CVs, though was going to heavier duy ones and gears and lockers as an upgrade--and he is loaded to the gills with no lockers or low gear, etc...

I want 3 inches all around, but concerned at being on the edge of wheel travel and CV hatred.

But with 2 inches lift, and minor trimmig I fit 34.3s x 11.77s (295/70-18s) no problems with a .25 inch spacer. There is some minor rubbing in the rear but I have not stuffed them yet. Moving to a .5 inch spacer and longer studs and then maybe see. I need to get it on a lift and with a jack go to full stuff to see. Feel free to look at all my past threads.

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot. Will check out some of your threads.
Joshua says does not have the FX4 package so he only has 2H and 4A and no locker. So he has no 4L would could add strain to the tranny in certain conditions. Also 4A not sure how well the clutches work or last. I do not know if he has a fan on his transmission cooler but in AZ slow crawling can heat it up. The trans is a real good build as GM and Ford worked together on it and it seems pretty solid. But everything has a weak point be it heat or stress, etc.