What can I get for $10,000?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelSE

Reaction score
Hi all, as I mentioned in my welcome post, I'm in the market for a 3rd gen EL. I'm saving up for a budget of around $10k. I understand that this will get me a pretty beat-up or high-mileage Expedition EL, and that's alright. It won't be a daily, I just want it as an off-road toy for me and the family.

The only options I want are 4x4 and A/C. Power windows/locks and a radio with an aux-in would be nice but I don't really need it.

I'm new to the Expedition market; but my quick search on craigslist found a few - a limited with 250k ($7500), an XLT with 190k ($8500) for example, but that's just a small cross section. So, given my budget, what kind of condition/mileage/options can I realistically expect? And can the 5.4 be trusted at high mileage? Thanks!

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it seems like a gamble. At that mileage even a well maintained vehicle is going to need some work, big or small who knows. Id have a mechanic look over any purchase very thoroughly. Being that its for off road use I would hate to be stranded due to mechanical breakdown.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be realistic, msybe you could settle for a 2nd gen with lower mileage. It's still the same.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my 3rd gen (2011) 4x4 from government auction for $10k
only 80K miles, full service records, came with tires on it plus a spare set of winter tires mounted on factory rims, and a new set of front seat covers they never got around to putting on (not that it needed them anyway).
It did take months of searching and waiting for the right one. This was a city water supervisor's vehicle and he took immaculate care of it inside and out.
XLT
4x4
HD Tow Package
Skid Plates (if you want to call them that)
AM/FM/CD with AUX
Cruise Control
Automatic headlights
Remote Start
Keyless entry

OP
OP
M

MichaelSE

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate your replies. I am pretty set on an EL, love the way they look leveled with A/Ts, so perhaps I'll have to increase my budget.

Denethor, where did you find yours? Was it on an auction website, or a local sale? Sounds like you got an incredible deal.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.govdeals.com
I've bought two trucks off there and both have been great, but I do lots of digging and asking questions. Some cities refuse to give any info others bend over backwards to help you. I always go with the info ones :)
Make sure to ask what it was used for. I only go after supervisor vehicles.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those prices seem high considering the mileage...around here an 08 with a few options and 115k on the clock is about $10k. They're good engines but the main flaw is the VCT in the 3v 5.4 (2005-2014).

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those prices seem high considering the mileage...around here an 08 with a few options and 115k on the clock is about $10k. They're good engines but the main flaw is the VCT in the 3v 5.4 (2005-2014).

ELs usually fetch ~$3k more than the standard length all else being equal. Limiteds really tack on the dollars as well. It's incredible how much price difference there is between say an '08 XLT and and '08 EL Limited.

OP
OP
M

MichaelSE

Reaction score
https://www.govdeals.com
I've bought two trucks off there and both have been great, but I do lots of digging and asking questions. Some cities refuse to give any info others bend over backwards to help you. I always go with the info ones :)
Make sure to ask what it was used for. I only go after supervisor vehicles.

Thanks! Looks like most of the Expeditions on there now are either beat up or 2wd, but I will keep an eye on this site for sure.

ELs usually fetch ~$3k more than the standard length all else being equal. Limiteds really tack on the dollars as well. It's incredible how much price difference there is between say an '08 XLT and and '08 EL Limited.

Yeah, that's the thing - the dealers around here think ELs are made of gold - I saw a listing for a 2009 XLT EL with 150k and they were asking $17k. That's why I started looking for private party deals on craigslist.

MB_07Expy

Reaction score
I got my 07 EB for not much over ten about a year and a half ago. One owner, 120k, loaded. Clean carfax with good maintenance records. This thing was cleaner than most vehicles with half the miles. I just kind of lucked into finding it tho. Was actually at the dealer looking for an F150 and found this.