What rear differential do I have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be an axle bearing, worn shaft for the spider gears, clutches, carrier, etc.. it's something you just have to get into to find out.

highlandre

Reaction score
so this leads me to me next question. when I accelerate from a dead stop and turn left or right, I get a rumble strip sounding noise. If I accelerate from a dead stop and go straight, I get no noise. Sounds like coming from rear diff. but Im not positive. do you guys think this is the LSD noise that people have been curing with change in rear diff fluid and friction modifier?

I had the clutch packs replaced in mine. One was destroyed and one was on the verge. I had the exact same problem. Think it cost me about $500 to fix.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
I had the clutch packs replaced in mine. One was destroyed and one was on the verge. I had the exact same problem. Think it cost me about $500 to fix.

did your only do it when it warmed up? If its a cool day, or cool rainy day, its as quite as a mouse. it only makes the noise the warmer it gets. but after a long drive, the rumbling gets pretty loud..

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
OP listen man I'll tell you one thing about my expy as this seems common with my f150 buddies, this thing is got more money and parts invested in it than it's worth x3.... and still to this day it drives like shit on hot days and hauls ass on cold days. I just don't get it! on them 90+ days I'd get 7 mpg and it'll drive like it's missing 4 cylinders and has the transmission of a geo metro.... BUT on cold(er) days holy moly this thing is a ferrari, now y u ask that..... It's a Ford, u learn to live with it

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
OP listen man I'll tell you one thing about my expy as this seems common with my f150 buddies, this thing is got more money and parts invested in it than it's worth x3.... and still to this day it drives like shit on hot days and hauls ass on cold days. I just don't get it! on them 90+ days I'd get 7 mpg and it'll drive like it's missing 4 cylinders and has the transmission of a geo metro.... BUT on cold(er) days holy moly this thing is a ferrari, now y u ask that..... It's a Ford, u learn to live with it

its my first ford. I only bought it because 2 years ago, I paid $3000 cash for it with 85k miles. its now got right around 113k miles. I put everything new under front end within last month including 4 new shocks.. the previous owner had the transmission rebuilt at 80k miles. ive put all new plugs and wires on it. if it wasn't from (what im thinkin bad clutch packs), this thing would run and drive better then new. but on the other hand, my chevy's get 200k miles with just oil changes and normal tune ups. I think my next ride will be a Toyota.....lol...

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
That rumble strip noise is often Torque Converter Chatter...
What is the status of the trans fluid?

fluid is like new and full. transmission had complete rebuilt around 30k miles ago. doesn't the torque converter usually make that noise while cruising in overdrive? I heard to test that is to turn over drive off and see if noise goes away. Im about 100% certain its coming from the rear differentil. fluid change coming soon to see if it helps it. if not, clutch pack time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger