What should I use my roof rack for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hood straps basic nylon webbing with a grommet. With open deck hulls like a canoe you need two ties on the front. The primary hold is at the cross bars. The bow tie one to each side keeps wind loading from causing hull wracking/twist with wind loads pushing on the ends. So a left and right tie to take up side loading at the ends makes for happy undecked hulls.

decked hulls a single front /rear tie is fine. Decked hulls don’t get wracked / twisted by wind loading side to side.

Amazon, REI etc hood straps. They are like $5 not a big deal or complicated

Keeps the paint damage down with the creative tie to the tow hooks.
The paint damage is what I want to avoid. The pool noodle I used accomplished this but was a pain, the straps on the fender by the hood would make this a much easier tie down job for sure.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The paint damage is what I want to avoid. The pool noodle I used accomplished this but was a pain, the straps on the fender by the hood would make this a much easier tie down job for sure.

When I first saw your canoe pic I laughed and remembered why I bought inflatable kayaks lol. Putting a canoe on an suv roof SUCKS. I got one of these but it still kinda sucks. Think I’m going to just break down and get a small trailer this summer.

237f4c9b0086113c071c62c914f9637c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first saw your canoe pic I laughed and remembered why I bought inflatable kayaks lol. Putting a canoe on an suv roof SUCKS. I got one of these but it still kinda sucks. Think I’m going to just break down and get a small trailer this summer.

I have a trailer for it when I’m not towing my overland rig. Getting it up on the roof is the easy part, it’s a royalex canoe so it only weighs 58 pounds. The straps on the roof aren’t bad, it’s messing with the strap on the front that was a pain. I ordered the straps for the fender under the hood to see how it does. You’re right tho, roof vs trailer is a no brainer.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put my hood straps on for our Canoe.

I just put my hood straps on mine. Hope to take the kids on an Estuary paddle when this SIP ends.

View attachment 35943

View attachment 35944
I got these straps... any reason you used those bolts to mount too versus the ones about a foot back on the fender? I’m attaching them to the same ones but still asking out of curiosity.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got these straps... any reason you used those bolts to mount too versus the ones about a foot back on the fender? I’m attaching them to the same ones but still asking out of curiosity.
I have an 18ft canoe and a lolo bike rack. I needed my tie point as far forward as I could get it.
Just make sure the straps are such that they aren’t lifting on the hood vs straight pull from the bolt.
https://www.loloracks.com/

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Of all the boats I car top the Canoe is by far the simplest/ easiest to car top. They ride on their flat rails great. Kayaks are terrible they don’t sit flat on anything, same goes for my sail boats.