What was last year of 5.4L on Expy's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad advice. You still have to follow your maintenance schedule, under warranty. Minimum twice a year. Anything goes wrong, they will claim neglect. The oil life monitor will go to 0% after 1 year, even if you only drove it 1000mi. I can confirm that. My 2011 Mustang GT only has 2800 miles. I just reset and change oil once a year. I use Royal Purple with high end cellulous oil filter.
My dealer changes my oil so I won't have any issues with the monitor. I had them change it at 1000 miles, and took a sample in to be analyzed and I'll have them change it again when it hits 6000 miles and I'll change it ever 5000 after that. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My dealer changes my oil so I won't have any issues with the monitor. I had them change it at 1000 miles, and took a sample in to be analyzed and I'll have them change it again when it hits 6000 miles and I'll change it ever 5000 after that. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.
A replacement 3.5lTT is over $9K. I would check with dealer and owners manual. There is different schedules for severe and normal. I would say that motor is getting a workout in full boost, moving that heavy SUV. Instead of paying Blackstone for useless info, change oil sooner.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A replacement 3.5lTT is over $9K. I would check with dealer and owners manual. There is different schedules for sever and normal. I would say that motor is getting a workout in full boost, moving that heavy SUV. Instead of paying Blackstone for useless info, change oil sooner.
First, it's my money to spend as I see fit.
Second, I'm changing the oil at half the interval.

Scheduled Maintenance.JPG

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A replacement 3.5lTT is over $9K. I would check with dealer and owners manual. There is different schedules for sever and normal. I would say that motor is getting a workout in full boost, moving that heavy SUV. Instead of paying Blackstone for useless info, change oil sooner.
9k for a crate gasoline engine is just insane. My dad had a E-350 that had a brand new crate 5.4 put in, was $6,000 installed with a 36,000 mile warranty from Ford. This was probably 2012. A motor that’s over 10 grand crate is an engine i have no interest in owning past warranty. Sure the motors of the old days had less power, but when they went you and a buddy swapped it out for cheap and had your truck back on the road.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
9k for a crate gasoline engine is just insane. My dad had a E-350 that had a brand new crate 5.4 put in, was $6,000 installed with a 36,000 mile warranty from Ford. This was probably 2012. A motor that’s over 10 grand crate is an engine i have no interest in owning past warranty.
I hear ya! A 5.0 coyote is $7500. The reason I mentioned....I think Ford, will hate honoring the warranty on these.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing to be fair is to consider that if you or me buys a motor from ford we are paying retail..... if your shop or dealer buys it you’ll often get a better price, if you are giving them the work especially.

Last edited:

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$9K to replace an EB is a little disingenuous. You can find the crate motor from $7500-8400 depending on where you look, and the only reason to get one is to install it in something that didn’t come with it.
If you were just replacing the engine in a 15-17 Expedition, you can order a replacement engine from Ford (DL3Z-6006-A), which runs $5K. A new short block is $1,250.
If you were in there replacing it, and you wanted to upgrade to the Gen 2 EB from the 17 Raptor, it will set you back $5,250 or $1,500 for a short block.
Considering Ford charges $5K for a replacement 5.4 3V and $5300 for a Coyote 5.0, seems pretty much normal from where I sit.

Of all the things Ford could choose not to replace an EB motor under warranty for, lack of maintenance isn’t one that usually comes up. They’ve been building the EB since late 2010, if lack of maintenance were a concern, they wouldn’t let the oil life monitor go all the way up to 10K miles before telling the owner to change it. They wouldn’t have a leg to stand on to deny a warranty claim when it’s easy to track oil changes done at the dealer with a smartphone.
And the PCM decides what qualifies as extreme operation on its own and varies the oil change interval accordingly.
My normal interval is right at 9K, but when I towed my 9K pound trailer for 1K miles prior to my last oil change, it told me to change it at 7K miles. Pretty much right in line with what my last F-150 with the Coyote did.

mwells

Reaction score
Sorry but that’s incorrect. There is no replacement the 5.4 can be boosted to almost 600 horse and 525 torque. If we are talking Fossil fuel/ atmospheric compressing engines that create power through compression to combustion a bigger engine always can produce more power through boost. It’s physics. The only power source that negates this law is electric. A 5.4 or 5.0 can always create more power than the 3.5 through forced induction. Why? Because It can compress more atmosphere to create more power. Would i drive an expy with a 3.5? Sure. But let’s keep our facts straight. In fossil fuel combusting engines there really is no replacement for displacement. Lots of guys get 1000 plus horsepower out of a good old chevy 350. Keep in mind I’m talking an engines potential power output not stock. Bigger Bore and Stroke= more potential for power through combustion. Aftermarket guys will always be able to create more power through more displacement.

I agree. As well, subbing boost will increase stress and reduce reliability. For my money, I prefer to keep it simple and stay away from boost. I think it sad the V8 Expedition is no longer available and I will just have to keep my 2014 going forever.:driver:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I agree. As well, subbing boost will increase stress and reduce reliability. For my money, I prefer to keep it simple and stay away from boost. I think it sad the V8 Expedition is no longer available and I will just have to keep my 2014 going forever.:driver:
Between spitting spark plugs, lackluster design changes, cam phasers, peeling paint and now this 2018 disappointment, I will be keeping my 1st gen a bit longer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt