Wheel adapter/ spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordhearter

Reaction score
So question for the people who use wheel spacers. I found a set of 5 18x9 fuel wheels with 34 inch all terrains on them for a really good price. The guy said they have a universal lug pattern so figured I would check them out. Problem is they have a 5x4.5 and a 5x5(127mm) lug pattern. They were mounted on 2013 Jeep. Would it be safe to get wheel adapters to go from 5x135 to 5x127. I have no problem spending a little extra on good spacers but I’m not sure about the lug pattern conversion. I know my expedition weighs a little more then his 4 door Jeep so just curious if that would give me any issues.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wheel spacers/ adapters are never a good idea on a vehicle as heavy as the expedition. On top of that your using the basic 10 lug universal wheel. The issue is cracking of adapter, or coming loose. Depending on rotors on your vehicle 12 mm vs 14mm, your wheel torque is 100 or 140 ft lbs. If not checked regularly, and who wants to do that, you may see one of your wheels traveling faster than your vehicle. Believe me that one never ends well. I'd keep searching Craig's list and some of the websites for 5x135 mm and do it right, just my 2 cents.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

highlandre

Reaction score
Wheel adapters can be fine, if you purchase a high quality set vs. the cheap ebay ones. I've debated it since finding 5x135 is tougher than 6x135. My mechanic has used them before but he won't use any but BORA (Bulletproof Off Road Adapters). They make them to order in both steel and aluminum. It does change steering geometry so you need be mindful of that.

Again, as 1995moose said, it's best to find wheels that fit than to use adapters.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smart move!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk