Wheel studs: 12mm vs. 14mm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition was built 01/00. How do I know what size wheel studs it has?

Take a lug nut off and look?

Well that would be easy. Except the PO put on some horrible wheels that have those splined Gorilla lug nuts on it. And I just realized that the lug key that was in the glove box when I was looking at buying is gone. So I can't take a lug nut off- and can't change the tire should I get a flat.

What I do know is that my Explorer has 1/2" lug nuts with the Gorilla lug nuts. Its lug key does not fit- lug nuts on Expedition are too big. 12mm is slightly less than 1/2" and 14mm is slightly more. Unless these lug nuts aren't abnormally thick, they should be 14mm, right?

Here are the ugly wheels in question:
AAD7A02B-941D-4055-AE28-F11DCA4C9A6C.jpg

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that all the big tool makers, (Mac SnapOn and Matco) all make a tapered socket with splines on the inside that you literally pound on to the lug nut so that you can remove it. They work best when used with an impact gun.

Once you have one off, you can match it up at the parts store.

Search around and you may find other sources for those sockets. I think they called it a lug nut extractor.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have same year expedition, mine is 4x4. Just went to Oreillys and bought 4 lug nuts to replace my wheel locks. Size for mine was 14mm x2.0. Like you said earlier take one lug off to compare. As far as getting your old ones off a tight fitting 6 point socket pounded on usually is best bet. If you don't want to struggle with this, have tire shop or mechanic remove them. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine are also 14mm.

I ended up going to Discount Tire and got a whole new lug nut kit. Why a whole new kit? Well the lug nuts I had have an odd number of splines and according to the guy at Discount, no one carries that spline key.

And while I was there, they took off my left rear tire to see why it was leaking (just a couple psi a week). The chrome was peeling and not letting it seal properly. They buffed it and got it to seal. So at least until I get new wheels, I won't need to constantly chase this leaky tire.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same problem with the chrome on my 20 inch wheels. They had to break down the new tires and grind the wheels to stop the leaks. Glad you got the locks off. I got rid of mine too. If someone wants to steal my beat up wheels, good, then I can get some quality ones. Glad it worked out for you. Moose.